Chapter Nine

Even though my house was in the same neighborhood as Robert's, I was there more than I was home. Lately, we'd get done with practice or school and one of us would cook before relaxing and doing homework for the night.

Taking 18 credits was something I had done before, but something made it worse this semester. Trying to juggle a relationship, friendships, work, and school wasn't easy. It was actually starting to be too much.

I sat at Robert's kitchen table trying to finish homework that I didn't understand. After around 20 minutes of being stuck, I broke down. I pulled my legs to my chest and hurried my face. I usually don't cry in front of people, but I didn't expect him to walk in when he did.

"Scar, what's wrong?" He pulled out a chair and sat next to me. Saying he was worried is an understatement.

"I can't handle this. It's all too much," I sobbed, refusing to meet his eyes.

"Then take a break," he suggested, "Go to sleep and finish the homework in the morning."

"I can't."

"Okay, then let's go do something tonight. I will stay up with you and help once we get back, but you need a break," he looked at me with pleading eyes. The clock on the mircrowave said 11:38, but my body was trying to convince me it was after 2 in the morning.

"What are we going to do?"

"Drive around. Get shitty gas station coffee. Whatever you feel like doing."

Good enough for me. I really just needed a break. I slipped on my winter jacket and put on my uggs, sweats half hanging out of the top of them. As soon as I got in the car, I started the seat warmers. That was the best part of Robert driving instead of me. My truck was shit during the winter, but somehow I still made it around.

He pulled out of the driveway and started driving without knowing where we were going. I started flipping through the radio stations, tying to find a song I wasn't tired of hearing already when I gave up and connected my phone to bluetooth.

"Merrily we fall out of line, out of line, I'd fall anywhere with you I'm by your side," I quietly sang along with the song that filled Robert's car, "I'm not afraid anymore, I'm not afraid. Forever is a long time but I, wouldn't mind spending it by your side."

This had been one of my favorite songs in high school, but only now does it have some meaning in my life. Except I am afraid. I'm scared shitless to be real honest. But isn't there a saying, something along the lines of "If it doesn't scare you, its not real love"? I'm probably just making that up.

"Can we go for a walk in the park?" It was late, but I didn't really care.

"Its cold out."

I gasped, "And you call yourself a Canadian."

"Fine, but don't complain to me when you get cold."

"If you don't keep me warm, you aren't doing your job."

Once we got back to his place, I tried doing my homework once more before deciding my best bet would be to just go to my professor's office hours before class.

"I love sleeping with you," Robert mumbled as he pulled me closer to him.

I laughed, "You're not such a bad lay yourself babe."

"That's not what I meant."

"I know, I just thought I was funny."

"You're hilarious Scar, now go to bed. I don't want to deal with your crabby ass tomorrow."

"You'd rather deal with just my ass?"

"Yep."

"You are a piece of work."