09

June 4, 1987

R.

"Eddie and I are dating," I announced, not really caring what Stan or Stuttering Bill had to say.

"W-what?" Bill stuttered, looking straight at Eddie who looked ready to shit his pants. Maybe I was intruding on a relationship or their own?

"It's fake!" Eddie screamed suddenly. What the fuck.

"Eddie!" I snapped.

"L-like I'd belie-lieve Eddie would date you." Bill laughed. What's that supposed to mean?

"You're right, he's too busy with his mom." I laughed.

"Whatever, Richie and I are pretending to be a couple so he can get girls to notice him." Eddie said in that annoying voice of his.

"What's in it for you?" Stanley asked, surprisingly casual about it all.

"I'm gonna protect him from Henry Bowers."

Bill laughed. "Y-you?"

"Whatever, losers. You can't tell anyone it's fake. Let's go swimming." I rolled my eyes and walked out the door.

➳ ➳ ➳

"Did you see Bev Marsh?" I asked once we were sitting by the quarry, still dry. At this point, Eddie was the only one still wearing his shirt.

"Yeah, she looked beautiful." Ben gushed. Not quite the words I'd use but I nodded along anyway.

I had yet to tell Ben or Mike about Eddie and I but something was holding me back. They've always looked up to me with the ladies. How would they handle it if they learned I was gay? Not that I'm actually gay of course. But still. They didn't question why we were hanging out with Stan, Eddie or Bill, though.

"Are we ever going to go into the water?" Mike asked, wiping sweat from his forehead.

"Mike's right." Stan whined, pulling at his curls.

I rolled my eyes, "Shut up, they're coming." I said referring to Beverly and Elle who were approaching with swimsuits of their own.

"So guys, ready to jump?" I looked at them, smiling devilishly.

"Jump?" Eddie widened his eyes. He looked like a baby, when he did that. Funny.

"It's okay, I'm sure he'll hold your hand." Stan smirked. Bill slapped his shoulder, giggling along.

"That's adorable." Bev smiled.

Ben looked confused but stayed quiet. Mike, however furrowed his eyebrows and looked at me.

"Am I missing something?" He asked.

"You mean they don't know?" She shifted her hips.

"Know what?" Ben was evidently confused. My hands began shaking as I clutched onto my shorts. I was terrified, terrified of what my friends would say. I'm not gay for fucks sake. Why didn't I think this through?

Elle looked at me expectantly. When I didn't say anything she crossed her arms. I felt sweat build up at the back of my neck from all the eyes on me. I felt everyone watching me, even though it was probably only the four of them.

"You mean, you don't know about him and Eddie?" I was afraid to turn around and watch their reactions.

"What's going on?" Mike asked. I looked at Ben slowly. I jerked my head away, looking around. Anywhere but at him. My eyes landed on Eddie. I gave him a pleading look and he was quick to rise from his spot on the ground.

"Aren't you going to tell them?" Bev was looking at me expectantly. She could see through me. I was too scared to say a thing.

"Tell us what?" Mike was utterly lost at this point. Eddie was looking at me for guidance. I'm unable to speak, hell, let him tell them. God knows I can't. I urge myself to nod at him in reassurance.

"That we're dating," Eddie's voice is shaking just as much as mine would've been, if not more. I can't help but hold my breath.

"What?" Mike holds back a laugh, I know he isn't judging me. He must be shocked.

"You're gay?" Ben practically shouts. I force myself to nod. I hate lying to them but I can't risk word getting out. I feel a set of arms latch onto me from the side and then another, this one patting me on the back. I almost feel disgusted with myself. My two best friends are being nothing but supportive and I'm lying.

Ben and Mike pull away and I sigh in relief. I look at Eddie. Shivers run through me as our eyes meet.

"Well come here, then," I grinned at Eddie. Anything to convince Elle. Eddie looked confused, gulping but stepping towards me regardless. He stood in front of me and I trembled. I gathered confidence and wrapped my arms around him. He was stiff against my touch for a few seconds before he relaxed. I felt his arms wrap around my lower torso. He smelled like lemons and I couldn't figure out why but ignored it anyway. I smiled against his shoulder and it felt right. I was comfortable. Completely comfortable. I may not be gay but I could get used to this.

"Thank you." I whispered.

➳ ➳ ➳

Aye so this is the longest chapter I've written for this story. Hope it was okay. Might look more familiar if you've read playing gay yikes

-Kat      9/20/17    @ 10:38 pm