17

Tuesday. June 9, 1987 

E.  

As soon as I was done with breakfast, I was practically jogging to my cabin. I had a headache and I didn't want to mistakenly run into Richie. Facing Richie in public always meant I had to act like his boyfriend. I hated lying.

Richie and I's public interactions had been pretty scarce ever since the night of the sleepover. I was avoiding him to say the least. Constantly talking to each other, playing this game. It was a mess, it's not as though we could have held a conversation behind closed doors. Richie and I hardly even look at each other when we're in our cabin.

I was only a few meters away from the B cabins when I heard a frantic shout of my name come from behind me. I turned to see Beverly pacing towards me with a huge smile on her face. How pretty, I smiled shyly at her.

"Are you busy this evening?" she asked breathlessly once she was standing in front of me. I chuckled as she took in a dramatic breath, hands on her knees as she knelt forward. I thought about what I should say, my eyes taking a liking to the blue sky above. I really wanted to get inside and curl in bed for a few hours with a book. My eyes returned to her, watching a pout making its way onto her face. 

"No, not really." I shrugged my shoulders and in the blink of an eye, her pout was gone.

"Great, 'cause my nails are dying for a makeover," she giggled, grabbing hold of my hand, examining my fingernails. She let out a sound of amusement. "Goodness, you look like you could use some work as well. It's a good thing I found you." I smiled, not too sure of what I should say. She wasn't usually this girly, I'd noticed. Maybe it was because she assumed I'd be into things like this. 

"Let's go, I just need to tell Elle," Bev linked our arms at the elbow and we began our walk back to her cabin. With that, we were off, skipping to our next destination. 

Once we got to the center of camp, I noticed Elle with her brother Will. They were talking seriously about something when we walked over.  I noticed Richie by her side and almost groaned. I didn't bother giving him a hug or a shy smile since Bev and Elle seemed to be in their own conversation.

I heard Elle mention something about her and Richie's plans. 

"Will could use some friends like him," I tuned out after that, thankful that I had plans with Beverly, after all. I didn't have a keen interest in pretending to be with Richie in front a bunch of strangers.

  ➳ ➳ ➳   

Bev's  cabin was just how I remembered it from the sleepover. She sat on the floor and I joined her, next she pulled out a box from under Elle's bed. Bottles of nail polish. I'd only ever seen the stuff in my Bill's parent's room back home but I found satisfaction in the indescribable scent of it all.

"So, Eddie," Bev chirped, holding up two bottles of nail coloring, "orange or blue?"

"This is a tricky one," I admitted with my bottom lip, between my teeth. "They are my two favorite colors." 

"Does it happen to be because of a boy we all know? A boy named Richie who wears a lot of orange shirts, perhaps?" Bev asked. I frowned, I hadn't been paying close enough attention to Richie to even notice the color of his shirts. I simply shrugged, a small smile playing on my face.

"Orange it is, then."  She smiled at me. 

"Speaking of Richie," She said, a playful ring to her voice, "How are the two of you doing?"

I shrugged. "What d'ya mean, Bev?" She shifted in her seat, timidly. 

"You know, tell me about it," she blushed. 

"Like," Bev spoke, in between painting jobs. She was already coating my right hand in orange polish. "Is he a good kisser?" Bev blew on her already painted nails.

I felt my face grow warm. I didn't know how to respond. I'd never been kissed in my life. I figured, though, it was early on enough in our relationship to still be un-kissed.

"Actually, I've never been kissed." I said truthfully, a bit ashamed. She looked at me wide-eyed. I thought she noticed at the campfire. 

"You two are dating though!" She couldn't get the shocked look off her face even if she tried. "I just assumed, since you share a room and whatnot. You guys are so cute, though. It's nice you're taking it slow."

I stayed silent with a shrug. 

"Well, Edward." Bev smiled cheerfully, with a thoughtful look on her face. "We'll just have to work on that, won't we?"

        ➳ ➳ ➳ 

What's Bev planning???? 

-kat     9/28/17    @  1:27 pm