21

Thursday. June 11, 1987. 

R.

I hadn't felt right about anything since meeting Will. The idea of faking something that actually meant shit to someone else felt wrong. I'd been contemplating ending our whole scheme altogether but it had gotten me so close to Elle, I couldn't.

"What are you making that face for?" Eddie gave me a stink-eye as he rummaged through pills on his bed. I rolled my eyes. Like I'd tell him about my guilt. He'd never let me live it down if I did.

"Mind your own business, Kaspby," I snapped. He grumbled and continued counting his pills.

"Are those your birth control pills?" I snickered, getting dressed for lunch.

"Yeah, they're for your mom." Eddie didn't even miss a beat. He started laughing but my breathe caught in my throat. Fucking asshole.

"You don't know shit about my mom!" I yelled, walking out of the cabin. I curled my lips with distaste as I felt my eyes burn with threatening tears. Stop it. Get it together, Tozier.  I shook my head, blinking the tears away furiously. Fucking Kaspbrak couldn't just keep his mouth shut.

I trudged to the cafeteria with my arms crossed, soon putting on a smug face when I spotted the rest of the loser's at our usual table. Don't blow it. I ordered myself, masking my emotions as much as possible. 

"Hey," Stan nodded at me as I sat down in front of him and Bill. Elle waved sweetly and it lightened my mood slightly. Bev was sitting by her side, sipping out of a juice-box. Ben was reading a book and Mike wasn't anywhere in sight.

"Where's Eddie?" Ben looked up from his book to question me. Who fucking cares?

"Probably writing love letters to his mom." Is what I said instead. Ben gave me a weird look and I realized what I'd said.

"Guess I'm just jealous," I lied, making sure Elle heard me. She frowned sympathetically, reaching out for my hand.

"Don't worry." Elle smiled. "He's crazy about you, if that kiss last night is anything to go by."

I nodded. Oh yeah. The kiss. It wasn't like it was my first kiss or anything. It was different, though. Eddie's lips were kind of rough compared to an actual girl's. It wasn't bad or anything as much as I hated to admit it. But it wasn't my style. He really didn't know what he was doing. I was like a pro and he was peewee league. He totally froze up when I put my tongue in his mouth, too. Kind of amusing, though. Whatever, though. I was mad at him and nothing was going to change that.

"Elle, what's your brother doing?" Stan asked and we all followed his gaze to Jonathan across the room arguing with Steve. It looked serious, they were shaking their heads and Steve was raising his arms as Jonathan spoke at light speed.

Steve turned away from Jonathan, as if trying to walk away from him. I stood up, walking closer to try to hear what they were fighting about. The others joined me. Elle looked worried and I wanted to grab her hand but she reached for Beverly's. I turned back to the commotion and flinched when Jonathan slammed his hands on the table, getting Steve's attention.

"Stop pointing your dirty fingers at me, Byers! She was your camper!" He spat. Jonathan froze, looking like someone had just stabbed him.

"You're head counselor and if you'd just keep your eyes on the kids and not Nancy's breasts, none of this would've happened!"

I was confused, glancing around the room for guidance when I noticed Nancy nervously walking table to table, talking to campers then moving on to the next.

I continued to watch Steve and Jonathan banter until finally Steve walked close to the other boy. They were face to face now and I was worried for Byers at this point. Steve mumbled something else and Jonathan clenched his fists but kept them at his side. I saw Nancy walk over to Bev and Elle whispering something rapidly. I tuned out, focusing on Jonathan and Steve, glad Elle was being distracted.

Bev shook her head and Nancy's eyes dragged to the floor. She looked sleep deprived and anxious. I wondered what was going on. She nodded, finally walking away. That's when Bev looked at the rest of us, glancing back at Elle who looked just as concerned.

Stan furrowed his eyebrows and Ben closed his book, noticing the tense air around the room. I gave Bill a questioning look and he shrugged. We all waiting for Bev to speak.

She opened her mouth and my throat felt tight as the words came out of her mouth.

"Betty Ripsom is missing."

   ➳ ➳ ➳

Wowow so I actually listen to this song to fall asleep lmao. Anyone recognize it??

Anyway. Thoughts on the chapter? Sorry it's major shoRt I was really blocked cries.

Q: are you gay?
A: fook ye but I wanna see how many queer readers I have :) if not that's ok you love who you love

-kat     10/3/17    @    12:15 am