16

Monday. June 8, 1987

It was the first rain the kids had seen all summer and it brought the nostalgic desire of a day indoors that no child in Derry had considered since school let out. Eddie was perched on his bed, listening to the rain pour down onto the trees outside. The room was dark and cold and the rain could be seen dragging down along the windows. 

Richie had just showered and was talking to his reflection in the mirror confidently. Eddie rolled his eyes at the sight, turning back to his book. 

In the next cabin over, Bill and Stan were sitting with nothing to do. Bill had plans to visit the other side of camp to spend the day in his brother's cabin to keep him company during the storm. Stan on the other hand, settled for a day inside, writing in a notebook he'd brought from home. The two sat in silence as morning turned into afternoon. 

Bill was preparing a paper sailboat for Georgie to play with when he arrived which was expected to be in a matter of minutes. Stan watched him from behind, scanning the way Bill's shoulder blades move as he folded the paper precisely. He put his pencil down, climbing out of his bed and padding across the room quietly. Bill didn't hear his cabin mate over the sound of water against the walls around them. 

"What are you working on?" Stan looked over Bill's shoulder, placing an arm on either side of the desk, making Bill feel warm. 

"Sh-She's a boat for G-Georgie." Bill managed to spit out, feeling nervous with the other boy so close to him.

"S-she?" Stan smiled fondly. 

Bill nodded. "Y-yeah. You c-call boats sh-she." Stan thought it was the cutest thing ever. He looked at Bill's lips for a second. They had yet to kiss after the incident at the quarry only two days before. 

"Wh-what?" Bill chuckled, Stan smiling at him. Stan shook his head, standing up straight and taking a step back. 

"It's sweet that you take care of your brother." Stan said. Bill shrugged, he'd always loved spending time with Georgie.  Bill stood up, finally completing his task with a long-deserved sigh. 

Stan fiddled with his thumbs. "You're done?" Bill nodded. 

He felt the tense air in the room and he wanted to disappear as he watched Stan tap his foot nervously. Stan swallowed hard, attempting to get rid of the lump in his throat that kept his stomach from feeling at ease. Bill stepped closer, knowing what was causing Stan to bite his lip anxiously. 

"W-we never t-tried it again." Bill said, taking a deep breathe as Stan gulped. 

"What are you saying?" Stan asked, feeling less confident in the dim room where he slept, a room that left him exposed and vulnerable. 

"I-" Bill stammered. "W-we could. If you w-w-want." 

Stan blinked at him, fighting the urge to pull him into a hug. Bill put the boat on the desk, thinking for a moment that he'd made a mistake by bringing it up. 

"Yes." Stan said, closing the distance between them. He pulled Bill forward with a hand on his waist. Bill hardly had time to blink before Stan pressed their lips together. It was confusing, the both of them not quite understanding how they could feel so connected when only having been friends for a week. Their feelings borderlined on romantic and they felt the need to figure them out together. 

Bill furrowed his eyebrows when Stan didn't pull away after a second. Stan moved his lips, keeping unsteady hands on Bill's waist as Bill placed his hands on Stan's shoulder, signalling that they take a break. 

"Sorry. Was that bad?" Stan blushed. Bill took a breathe, feeling overwhelmed for a moment. 

"N-no. I-I just need to g-get used to it." Bill confessed. He didn't understand what made him want to kiss Stan. He'd never had feelings for a boy though he admitted to himself that he'd admired Stan's appearance for years. 

"Should we stop?" Stan asked, not wanting Bill to do something he wasn't comfortable with. 

"N-no. It's n-nice. I've just n-never-" Bill paused. "I don't r-really know h-how to do th-this." 

"You're doing fine." Stan bit down on his tongue, not liking the way his words sounded out loud. 

"I don't really know how to kiss either. I've only ever kissed one other person." Stan shrugged causing Bill to raise an eyebrow. "Betty Ripsom." 

Bill nodded, sighing at the idea of Stan kissing anyone else. He felt jealous, almost. 

"T-that makes me-e feel funny." Bill admitted. "K-kind of jealous." 

Stan smiled. He didn't necessarily want Bill to feel upset, he merely liked the idea that Bill wouldn't like him kissing anyone else. It said something about his feelings, Stan thought. 

"That's a good sign." Stan said, licking his lips. Bill nodded. 

"I t-think so, too." Bill smiled, putting a hand on Stan's face. 

"W-we can try again n-now." The two leaned in, closing their eyes only to jump at the sound of rapid knocking on the door. Bill groaned, walking over and pulling the door open. 

Standing at only four feet and two inches, George Denbrough was smiling up at Bill from the doorway. Bill cursed under his breath, completely having forgotten about his plans with his younger brother. 

"Billy, are you ready to play?" Georgie stuck his hands in his yellow raincoat's pockets with a grin. Bill sighed, turning back to Stan who was sitting on his bed, trying not to intrude. 

"S-sorry, Georgie." Bill forced out a cough, glancing at Stan once again. "I th-think I might be getting s-sick." 

Georgie pouted, crossing his arms over his chest. "You can't play with me?" He whined.

"I'm so-sorry. I'll play with you tomo-tomorrow." Bill felt bad for lying, something he'd regret later. He handed his brother the paper boat and smiled weakly. 

"I made h-her just for you-ou." Bill offered, and Georgie's frown disappeared. 

"I'll take care of her, Billy." He giggled and ran outside.

"Don't g-go too fa-far! F-find  a co-counselor to g-go with you!" Bill shouted after him, closing the door. Stan was still sitting on his bed, looking concerned. 

"You didn't have to do that." Stan looked into Bill's eyes. 

"I-I know." He whispered. 

Bill crossed the room, sitting on Stan's bed and crossed his legs. He reached for Stan's hands and sat quietly. 

"I think I li-like y-you." Bill mumbled. Stan rubbed his thumb across Bill's right hand and grinned. 

"I like you too," Stan's hand found it's way to Bill's cheek, kissing him lightly. 

      ➳ ➳ ➳ 

bill and stan are so gay smh. also this loser i have a crush on was like "WHY DO PEOPLE DO THAT" (rub their thumbs on people's hands) and i rlly dunno but it was cute for the story so I wrote it hA

-kat    9/27/17   @