32

I created a separate book for the mature scenes in this story so that this one doesn't get reported. If you want to read the scene, it's in the "extras" book I recently posted. For those of you who don't want to read that, here's the chapter without it :) totally PG -kat

Sunday. June 28, 1987

As the night got later and the teens got tired, Stan and Bill were struggling to keep from pouting. Stan watched enviously as Richie and Eddie danced along to the slow music, he wished he could dance with his boyfriend that way. They had it easy, Richie and Eddie. They got to parade in their fake relationship while Stan and Bill hid in the shadows and the fact hurt Stan so much. He was fed up with watching Bill lean against the wall. Why weren't they allowed to dance like everyone else? He quickly came up with a plan to make their night a whole lot better. He approached Ben who was dancing with Beverly awkwardly.

"Can I borrow your Walkman?" Stan whispered once he was close enough. Ben looked annoyed at the interruption but avoided asking questions in order to continue dancing.

"Sure, it's in my cabin." Ben nodded, looking back at Beverly. Stan rolled his eyes, mumbling to Bill on his way out of the building.

He told Bill to wait inside and that he'd be right back. As he speed-walked through camp, he was happy to see that Eddie and Will were outside as well but worried when he noticed Eddie seemed to be in a panicked state as Will tried to comfort him. He decided against confronting them only because he had a more pressing matter at hand.

He managed to make it to Ben's cabin, walking through the door and wow. Around the walls were snippets from newspapers, magazines, and books. The walls were hardly visible beneath the photographs and posters. How did Ben have time to do all of this when they'd only been at camp for less than a month? Stan shrugged, looking around for what he needed. Bingo. He thought as his eyes landed on the music device sitting on the boy's bed.

After gathering the walkman, Stan ran back to the cafeteria where the music was still sounding and his boyfriend was slouching in a corner with a frown on his face. Stan's heart broke a little. He walked over and tapped the boy on the shoulder.

"Let's go," Stan whispered. Bill looked surprised, looking around to check if anyone was watching them.

"Wh-where?" Bill asked.

"Somewhere we can actually be together." Stan replied as he shrugged his head towards the door. Bill smiled and followed him out.

Once they were outside, Stan prepared himself for a run-in with Eddie and Will that never came. They must've gone back inside, he assumed. The pair walked further into camp, back to their cabin. As they approached the door, Bill paused. Stan furrowed his eyebrows, facing his boyfriend.

"I w-want to do this outside, at le-least once." Bill muttered, pulling Stan close to him so that he they were chest to chest. Stan smiled once Bill pressed their lips together. The kiss was short but it was everything they needed in that moment.

"I wish we didn't have to hide." Stan mumbled as he opened the door.

"Someday." Bill nodded.

They turned a lamp on and stood in the center of the room. Stan held the walkman in his hands and Bill gave him a questioning look. Stan sighed, putting the headphones around Bill's neck before hugging him close. Bill wrapped his arms around Stan's waist as Stan pressed play.

They stayed silent as the song began. Stan leaned his head against Bill's as they swayed together, close enough that they could hear the music radiating from the headphones. Bill smiled softly, reaching a hand up to play with Stan's curls.