24

Monday. June 15, 1987.

It was a few minutes after dinner when Nancy announced a camp-wide campfire game before the movie. Everyone was excited, gathering with their friends and crushes around the fire, thinking it would be a game of their own enjoyment. The counselors had something else in mind.

"So," Nancy smiled at the group. "Steve, Jonathan and I were talking and we don't think you all know each other very well."

Everyone stayed silent.

"Which means we can't stay united as a group," Jonathan filled in. "Meaning the chances of another incident are more likely to happen."

"So we're gonna play a game." Steve took over. "We're passing around papers. You have to write a question or note for a camper. Anyone that you want to get to know better. At the end, we'll pass the papers out and let you all read and answer the questions that your fellow campers have asked you anonymously."

Richie groaned. He couldn't wait until they went back inside for movie night. The lights would dim and he'd be able to hold Elle's hand if she accidentally brushed his while digging for popcorn. He had it all planned out.

Eddie, however thought of this game as a great opportunity to get some answers from his cabinmate. His best friend, Bill felt exposed. He scooted closer Stan, wishing he could hold his hand but sighing because he knew there were too many people around to try.

Mike was sitting alone, not very interested in asking anyone any questions, he looked around at all the kids sitting around on benches. He spotted a familiar face and walked over to sit by her. Bev smiled when she saw him and made space for him to join her and the girl by her side. Mike almost didn't recognize her at first.

"Elle?" Mike was confused. Elle looked at him as she anxiously ran a hand over her head. Beverly squeezed her shoulder for support. Mike looked at Bev, now. His eyes widened as he noticed her hair was much shorter as well.

"It's pretty hot this year," Mike nodded, trying not to make a big deal out of it. "Maybe I'll shave my hair."

Elle smiled, glad she had friends who didn't question things. A few moments later, Jonathan passed them, handing them each a paper. Elle cupped a hand around her page, scribbling a question for her best friend Beverly.

Were you shocked when Elle lost her wig? Maybe you had seen it before accidentally??

When she was done, she folded her paper and wrote Beverly's name on it. She handed it back to her brother and waited anxiously.

bitch. Beverly smiled, folding her paper and writing Gretta's name on top. Next to her, Mike was writing a question of his own.

A few seats away, Bill and Stan were giggling, hiding their papers from each other and glancing peaks at one another as they scribbled their questions. "Write me one." Stan whispered.

"Y-you write one for me-e." Bill nodded in return.

Eddie frowned, looking down at his paper. Why did you get mad at Eddie when he made a mom joke but when you make a mom joke it's okay?

He folded the page, writing Richie on the front with a sigh.

Half an hour later it was finally Richie's turn to read out his notes. He had a small handful and Eddie waited patiently for an answer to the one he'd written down.

Richie looked down, coughing lightly as he read the contents. "It says Why did you get mad at Eddie when he made a mom joke but when you make a mom joke it's okay?" Richie rolled his eyes.

"I know that was you, Eddie. You're the only one who was there." Richie shook his head. "None of you business. This is dumb. Let's watch the fricking movie already."

Richie walked away from the campfire and towards the cafeteria. Eddie frowned. So much for answers.

➳ ➳ ➳

sigh ok it's short bc halfway through I realized it wouldn't work as a chapter since a lot of you asked questions about insider information that they can't answer in front of the entire camp. SO next update will be a sort of breaking the fourth wall and just letting the characters answer your questions as if they know their in a book. ok. Update will be up in an hour probably. So make sure to read both.

If u like Steve and Jonathan from Stranger Things  then read my new text story: Tough Guys it's gonna be gay and ye idk if you're into Steve x Jonathan but that's what it is so check it out if you want :)

-kat