CHAPTER FOUR

╔═══════════════╗
Sempiternal
Chapter Four
╚═══════════════╝

                *☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊    ┊        ┊                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊   ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ✫                  ┊         ┊       ✩                     ...

** ゜゚** ゜゚** ゜゚**

                      ˚ ˚

   She had been running for hours. The sun was beginning to set, and she was completely lost. The trees around her were dark and scary, and the cool air nipped at her reddened nose. She was about to step out from behind the brush when she heard snarling. Suddenly she heard someone scream Damon's name. Her heartbeat quickened as she peered through the limbs, spotting the raven haired vampire running through the opposite tree line. "Elena?" she whispered, spotting the girl with Alaric, both running from the scene. She fought through the limbs and ran for Damon, fear striking her bones cold. If he got bit, he would surely die. Klaus wouldn't help anyone but himself– or Stefan, apparently. Tears threatened to blur her vision, but she kept willing them away, hoping she would make it in time.

Just as she fell through another opening, she spotted Stefan behind Ray, his hand grasping the hybrid's heart. "Fancy meeting you here," Damon spoke sarcastically, causing a small smile to form on the girl's face. "What part of "don't follow me anymore" got lost in translation, Damon?" Stefan sounded annoyed, which she couldn't understand why. "Might want to take it up with your girlfriend. You don't want her chasing you, I'd stop with the late-night phone calls." Carter began moving forward, biting down on her chapped bottom lip. "I didn't call her." She grabbed a hold of a branch, steadying herself as she tip toed closer to the two. "Sure you did. She's not gonna give up on you." She bit down on her lip, watching the eldest Salvatore scold his little brother.

"She has to. Because I'm never coming back. Why don't you get her home? See if you could keep her there this time." She finally broke into a sprint, her eyes meeting Damon's icy blue ones. She crashed into his chest, his arms wrapping instinctively around her waist. He held her awkwardly, unsure of who she was. "Damon," she breathed out, pulling away from him. The sound of her voice sent an electrical charge through his dead heart. His blue eyes widened as he stared at her, before pushing her smaller frame away. "Is this some sick joke? Who is this?" he questioned his brother, who's fists tightened. "Damon.. It's me. It's Carter," she told him, the tears free from their grasp. He fought back his own tears, his face stern as the wall she had broken down had been built back up.