CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

╔═══════════════╗
Sempiternal
Chapter Twenty-Eight
╚═══════════════╝

                *☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊    ┊        ┊                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊   ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ✫                  ┊         ┊       ✩                     ...

**゚ ゜゚**゚ ゜゚**゚ ゜゚**゚

                      ˚ ˚

                         Carter gasped awake, startling the Japanese girl asleep on her brand new bean bag. Tears spilled over her cheeks as she grasped at the comforter around her. She had to make sure this was real. Damon didn't die, and she didn't just attack Elena. She hadn't even noticed Kaitlin crawl into the bed and pull her into her arms. "Shh.. It's okay. You're okay." Kaitlin stroked Carter's hair, kissing the top of her head repeatedly. Carter's fingers wrapped around Kaitlin's shirt, her face buried in the girl's chest. "Damon..," the girl cried. She squeezed her eyes tighter, letting out a soft sob. Kaitlin rested her cheek against Carter's head, running her fingers through her tangled hair. "He's okay, babe. It was just a dream." Carter shook within her grasp, her breath hot against her skin.

"He could have died, K. And I've been treating him so badly." Kaitlin sandwiched Carter's face between her hands, forcing the girl to look at her. Her cheeks glistened beneath the pale light coming in from the hallway. "You were angry, Cee. He knows that you love him, even if you don't know it yourself." Carter's eyes squinted to prevent more tears from falling down her face. "You want to get some breakfast? It's, like, six?" Kaitlin picked Carter's phone off the bedside table and pushed the lock button. "Or five thirty. Whatever." Carter smiled at Kaitlin, slowly nodding her head. "Yeah.. Let's get some breakfast." The two girls crawled out of Carter's bed and locked arms together. Kaitlin lead the way toward the door, Carter's phone still in her hand. "I really love him, K," the strawberry blonde mumbled, running her fingers through her hair.

"I know you do, babe," Kaitlin responded. "What are you thinking about?" Carter shrugged her shoulders, stepping down the stairs slowly. "I don't know... Maybe I'm just feeling this right now because I'm not used to being without him." Kaitlin nodded, turning the corner toward the kitchen. "Well, maybe you should go out with someone. Like that guy from the other day!" Carter rolled her eyes at the mention of the guy, her cheeks flushing. "He hasn't texted me yet..." Carter pulled out a frying pan, setting it onto the stove top. "Besides, he could be a crazy psycho. I tend to attract those." Kaitlin laughed, pulling open the refrigerator door. "You can say that again. But, now you have this super cool strength and you could definitely take him." She took out the stick of butter and egg carton, bumping the door closed with her hip.