CHAPTER TWELVE

╔═══════════════╗
Sempiternal
Chapter Twelve
╚═══════════════╝

                *☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊    ┊        ┊                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊   ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ✫                  ┊         ┊       ✩                     ...

**゚ ゜゚**゚ ゜゚**゚ ゜゚**゚

                      ˚ ˚

                         The whole staff was silent as they watched the resurrected Carter Harmon walk slowly through the administration room and into the principal's office. Damon stood in the corner, his eyes glum. In the chair in front of the Principal's desk was Carter's mother. Her strawberry blonde hair was littered with grey, tied up into a loose bun. She was dressed in her favorite slacks and a nice blouse, yet the rose sleeves were stained with black. "M–Mom?" Carter practically gasped, feeling tears raid her vision. She stood slowly, turning to face her daughter even slower. Her eyes were glistening with tears, her eyes puffy and red. The teenager couldn't fight back the smile popping onto her face, and ran into her arms. Yet, her body was stiff once she made contact.

She pulled away, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Come," she told her quietly, looking to Damon. He really must have told her everything. The trio exited the Principal's office and through the hallway, until they were outside the school. Margaret stood in front of her car, her fingers wringing together as she stared at Carter with an empty expression. She didn't know how to feel. How was this possible? How was her baby back from the dead? "Please say something," Carter begged, looking at her with pain in her eyes. Margaret struggled to swallow the trembling lump within her throat, her eyes twinkling with tears.

"How has this happened?" she asked no one in particular, dropping her hands by her side, her fingers tightened into fists. "Are you one of him?" Carter bit her tongue, fighting back a sob. "This is all too much. I just– I don't understand." She directed her words toward Damon, her eyes narrowed in a glare. "Mom, its me. Its Carter," the trembling girl whimpered, reaching for her mother's hand. Margaret jerked her arm away with a surprised gasp. "Don't! Don't touch me, you... you monster!" Tears gave way, trickling down Carter's rosy cheeks. "You can't comprehend how difficult this is for me. I lost my daughter that night! I just... I need time to process this all. Please, just stay away."

Carter gaped at her mother as the woman walked off, slamming her car door behind her. She felt her heart beat hard against her chest, cracking each time just a little more. "Carter," Damon whispered, reaching forward for her face. She dipped her face down, wiping roughly at her tears. "I'm fine. I'm fine," she lied, sniffiling temporarily. She forced a brave smile, which caused Damon's eyes to show more hurt, and sympathy. His fingers pulled her chin, making her reddened green eyes look at him. "Let me take you somewhere, okay? Just you and me." She only nodded, walking into his strong arms. He smelled of vanilla and whiskey, a smell she had learned to love so much. "Thank you, Damon. For talking to her," she mumbled against his chest.