Anna

Anna

I brushed my teeth three times; the mint taste was becoming stale. I showered and changed my clothes twice; currently, a pair of black yoga pants and a blue sweater. I filled out a few school forms, leaving the signatures for my mom. I organized my room and cleaned the bathroom. I watched TV; three Boy Meets World reruns and a new episode of Spongebob.

It was nearly six o' clock, and my stomach was growling.

I knew I would regret it, but I mindlessly made myself a sandwich; turkey and cheese on white bread.

I ate it quickly, happy to ease the grumbling, but as soon as it was gone, I suddenly wanted to reverse time.

The sandwich felt heavy in my stomach, despite being the only thing I'd eaten that day. I wanted it to disappear, but I knew that the damage was done. I checked the packaging on the turkey and the cheese, and then the bread, and counted calories in my head. Twenty for the turkey slice, eighty for the two slices of cheese, and one hundred and forty for the two slices of bread; two hundred and forty all together.

I convinced myself that it wasn't that many, especially compared to the thousands of calories that most people consumed daily. Still, I found it upsetting that I had ingested that much. It surely didn't seem like much at the time.

I drank two cups of water before going to bed early. School had been exhausting, but nice at the same time, which wasn't something that I had been expecting twenty-four hours prior.

I had expected that I would be the same that I was every year; invisible. I was surprised that I had even made it off of the bus without panicking.

And then, I met him. Jessiah.

It crossed my mind more than once that maybe, just maybe he was messing with me. He could've been pretending to be my friend, only to suddenly leave with a laugh and a, "Did you really believe I wanted to be your friend? What a joke!"

But it also crossed my mind that maybe he was serious. Maybe he looked for me during his free period because he wanted to.

Maybe, just maybe, he was being real.