Riley

Riley

I went through my classes like a zombie, ignoring Cathy and Jessica and flipping off anyone who tried to approach me. Except for Victoria.

I had to get it together, I knew that. I was slipping like crazy and it was only the beginning of the second week of school. Rumors were forming and people were trying to get information out of me.

I walked home, not willing to brave the bus. My mom didn't say anything to me when I walked through the door, but I wasn't bothered. We hadn't spoken in months. Her staying at the house for two days was not going to change that.

I opened my bedroom door with the full intention of just grabbing whatever alcohol was left in my closet. I was happy that my dad had believed me when I'd said that I wasn't going to get drunk again. When he grabbed whatever he could find in my closet, though, I got a bit nervous. I was lucky that he hadn't found the nips in my shoes. I would have to be more careful, and I would have to find someone to buy me more.

I froze. "Jeremiah?"

He was spread out on my bed, light brown hair longer than the last time that I'd seen him, already covering the tips of his ears and his forehead. His blue eyes were bright as he spotted me, and his sun-kissed skin was a shade darker than it had been in June. He was clad in a pair of washed out blue jeans, a white tee-shirt, and black and white high-top Chuck Taylors, similar to mine.

He gave me a crooked smile and his eyes gleamed. "Hey, Rye."

My heart pounded in my chest and I had to force my feet to move. I wrapped my arms around his torso, and he did the same to me.

"I've missed you so much," I said, voice wobbling.

He held me tighter. "I've missed you, too, Rye. It's so great to be back."

I pulled away, teary-eyed. "How was the summer with your grandparents?"

He chuckled. "Nothing compared to what it would have been with you."

I choked on a sob and buried my face in his chest. "I love you,"

He rested his head on my head. "I love you, too, Rye. I always will, I promise."

He leaned down to kiss me and I kissed him back as hard as I could. A tear escaped my eye, but I smiled, and so did he. I could see his eyes pooling with tears, as well, and I was much happier than I had been an hour ago.

We pulled away, panting for breath. I turned to shut the door, and froze.

"What's wrong?" Jeremiah asked.

I shook my head sadly. "Nothing." I shut the door and tried not to think about the fact that the picture of Skylar and I at Disneyworld was missing from the hallway wall.