Riley

Riley

Somebody please just push me down the stairs, I pleaded silently. Please. I can't stand being back in this piece-of-shit school much longer, and these bitches are driving me insane.

I smiled at something that Cathy had said, laughing a bit with Jessica as we exited the flooded stairwell. The day was only half way over, and honestly, I couldn't wait to just get home and pay my closet a visit. The thought made dealing with school just a little bit easier, but it also strengthened my anticipation for it to be over.

We passed the previous star of the school, who most were calling the school "nut case". Most of the news had died down overnight, but, of course, Cathy just couldn't let it go.

"Hey, spaz," she greeted him with a mocking laugh. "How's it going?" She banged on the lockers near him. "Gonna have another freak attack today?"

He ignored her and continued to toss papers and books into the bottom of his locker.

"I'm talking to you, psycho!" She snapped her fingers in front of his face but he merely looked at her broadly.

I gritted my teeth as she continued to taunt him, wanting nothing more to just tell her to shut the hell up and go away. I didn't, though. I never did.

I realized he was looking at me while Cathy and Jessica were laughing together at his expense. I dropped the snarl on my face and pretended to laugh along with them, but I don't think it was good enough for him.

"What are you looking at, freak?" The words burned a hole in my tongue, but it sent Cathy and Jessica into another fit of hysterics.

His face remained impassive, and, if anything, bored. I hated to admit it, but the way he looked at me chilled me to the bone and sent my heart racing with fear.

He can see through it, I realized. He can see it.

He walked away, and as I adjusted the strap of my bag on my shoulder, I realized that my hands were shaking.

He noticed. I know he did. I left Cathy and Jessica laughing at the lockers. I just wanted to think. No. No, I didn't want to think, that was the exact opposite of what I wanted to do. I wanted to drink myself sick, until I couldn't stand, let alone think.

He was just like him.