Robin

Robin

I wasn't feeling right, but I was feeling, and deep down, I knew that that was not a good thing.

Everything that I had been missing since I had started taking my pills again the week before was pooling in my stomach and trying to climb up my throat.

I pushed through the crowd, trying not to think about how many people there were surrounding me, and how if I really needed to get out, I wouldn't be able to. By the time I pushed my way to the front, I was sweating and my heart was racing, but at least there was a bit more space.

Some pretentious, cocky, arrogant douche was standing over a guy who was fairly smaller than him. I recognized the arrogant douche from the times I had seen the lacrosse team practicing on my way home. The small brunette with a bruised cheek and split lip, however, I did not recognize.

I wiped my sweating palms on my jeans. "Hey," I said.

The arrogant douche pushed the small brunette into a locker roughly. I took a step forward.

"Hey!" I said, louder this time.

The arrogant douche's head turned to me and he rolled his eyes, laughing.

"Oh, look," he said, looking back to the brunette. "The school nut came to save your pathetic ass."

The brunette shook in his shoes. The sight made my blood boil.

"Please, Tyler," the brunette finally spoke. "Just leave me alone."

Tyler ignored him. He looked me in the eyes and I forced myself not to look away, not to blink, not to move.

He grinned slowly. "Am I real? Or am I just another piece of your imagination?" He waved his hands and moaned in a way that I guessed was supposed to sound ghost-like.

I snarled at him, my eyes blazing.

The brunette had pressed himself against the lockers, his eyes watching my face, unsure of what I was going to do.

Determined to show everyone just how much of a nut I was, I stepped forward and sent my fist flying into Tyler's face.

He stumbled backwards, but only a bit, then he easily steadied himself. My knuckles ached, and I didn't think I would be able to hit him like that again. Luckily, I didn't have to.

The clicking of heels on linoleum tiles and the static of a walkie-talkie sent students scattering, including Tyler. The brunette and I were the only ones that didn't flee.

It was the assistant principal, and I mentally slapped myself for getting into a fight, because surely my mom would have my ass for it when I got home.

I told her that I hadn't taken my medication that morning, not too afraid, because something told me that the brunette who was still lingering wouldn't be spreading news about me to the entire school. She let me off with In School Suspension for the following day, and told me that she was going to call my mom to bring my medication into the school, for the moment and for if a similar situation ever happened again. I would be called down when she arrived.

When she had disappeared around the corner of the hallway, I turned to the brunette, my hands in my pockets. We were silent for a moment, just staring.

"Thanks," he said, his eyes averted to his shoes. They were brown like Anna's, but lighter.

"No problem," I told him. I took one of my hands out of my pockets and offered it to him. "I'm Robin."

He took it slowly. His ears reddened. "I'm Reximus."

I cocked my head and took my hand back after a second. "That's a weird name."

He smirked a bit, but he still resembled a petrified animal. I didn't want him to look like that, at least not around me. "I have an aunt named Robin," he said.

I laughed. "Touché."

He opened his mouth to say something, but was interrupted by a girl with pink hair and black clothing.

She ran down the hall and stopped at his side, panting for breath. She doubled over and leaned against her knees. "There are too many stairs in this damn school," she breathed.

Reximus rolled his eyes and smiled. He looked a bit less like a frightened animal.

She went on. "I heard about the fight as soon as I got here and I ran all over the place trying to find you! Oh my God I am so, so, so sorry I wasn't here! I just--"

"Victoria!" he exclaimed. "Calm down. I'm fine."

She turned to me, still trying to catch her breath. "I heard about you punching that dick. Thank you."

I smiled. "Like I said, it was no problem. It was pretty great, actually."

She grinned, showing teeth. She looped her arm through Reximus's and mine arms. "Well, boys," she said. "Shall we skip class?"

Reximus looked doubtful and Victoria looked happy. I, however, was confused. What was it with me making friends this year?