Riley

Riley

There were flowers on my bed when I got home; three beautiful daisies. There was no note, but it was so obvious who they were from that his name could have been painted across my bedroom walls.

Jeremiah knew that I loved daisies, especially the ones that his mother grew in their backyard. We used to sit in his backyard for hours, and he would pull out his pocket knife and cut the stems neatly so that I could tie them into a flower crown because I was obsessed with them. It seemed insulting to buy one when making one was real and genuine, something that I hadn't been since Skylar died. When I thought back to it, I really wasn't sure if I had ever been real with anyone, ever.

I didn't talk to Jeremiah for a week after Skylar died, but he was there in the hospital when I woke up. I had passed out due to not eating and sleeping for three days. He brought me daisies from his mother's garden then, too. I thought I loved him. I thought I always would.

Then, he cheated on me for the first time. He lost his virginity to some senior with blonde hair and blue eyes and a smile that pulled in any guy she wanted. Jeremiah happened to be one of them.

I had only just turned fifteen, then. He brought me daisies and begged for forgiveness. He kissed me when I had makeup dripping from my eyes and my voice was shaking. I fell back into his arms and we got back together immediately. It had only taken a week for him to get me back. He promised we would never be apart again. He would never do anything to make it so that we were. He told me he loved me.

He was doing it again; breaking me apart and then trying to mend the breaks with daisy chains and "I love you"'s. I hated him for it.

But I hated myself for loving him more.