Anna

Anna

For the first time in a long time, I wasn’t thinking of caloric value or how many sit-ups I would have to do to burn off a glass of juice. I was thinking about Reximus, and how I was never going to see him again.

I was thinking of when Reximus wouldn’t take my Halloween candy, and when we were pelting each other with snowballs because he had formed an alliance with Victoria and had become the enemy. I couldn’t get his face out of my head. Every word that he had ever said to me was stuck on repeat like a broken record that had melded to the record player. It wouldn’t shut off.

I was thinking of when he gave me a birthday present in October, because he had found out about my birthday when our Algebra teacher made the whole class sing happy birthday to me, and he didn’t tell anybody because I didn’t want them to make a big deal about something so trivial as a seventeenth birthday, though he claimed that he would tell them over the summer and we would all go to the beach or an amusement park for a belated celebration.

I cried harder when I realized that that could never, ever happen.

“I miss him so much,” I whimpered, gripping his shirt in my fist.

“I know,” Jessiah murmured. “We all do.”