Robin

Robin

It was nice to not be the one the school was talking about.

The school's conversation had suddenly shifted to some guy who pissed his pants during yesterday's band practice.

My mind was elsewhere, anyway. I had taken my medication, so I would be good until school ended, maybe an hour or so after. I could barely feel anything emotionally, but I knew that there was more to that popular bitch than she let people see.

It was weird to be thinking about it. I mean, what was it to me if she was a fake? It felt different, though. She more than just resented the girls she hung out with, she was sad about something, and she thought she was perfect at hiding it.

What she didn't realize was that she was constantly getting lost in her head, and it showed on her face; the scowls, the crease in her forehead, the frowns.

I wasn't watching her continuously, I had just seen her enough to see the faces she made when she wasn't paying attention to herself.

"You look troubled," Jessiah commented as he sat down across from me, Anna beside him.

My heart jolted at his observation. It looked like I was letting the facade slip, as well.

"Nah," I said passively. "Just tired."

I was slightly curious as to why they were sitting with me, again, when there were quite a few empty lunch tables, but I didn't say anything.

Most of my free period was spent watching Jessiah and Anna and predicting when they would finally get together. It was blatantly obvious that they had become instantaneously infatuated with each other, even if it was only the second day of school.

I thought about bringing it up, to push them together, but the thought quickly dispersed. They would simply have to do it on their own time, whether that was days or years.

Anna blushed constantly, but around Jessiah, it was more crush-based, as was obvious from the wideness of her brown eyes and the smile on her lips. She was happy to be around him. That was good.

Jessiah was obviously set on keeping her attention at all times. When they had come over to sit with me the day before, he hadn't looked exactly happy, but he seemed to warm up to the idea once he and Anna got into a conversation, me being only a minor asset.

It was only a matter of time before things started to heat up around the school. At the moment, a lot of the drama was just who-dated-who over the summer and who-slept-with-who.

I tuned most of the day out after that. Nothing interesting happened, and the only thing my teachers did was droll on about what we would be doing throughout the year, and what was expected of us, and blah, blah, blah.

My mom picked me up from school, but we were silent on the way home. I didn't mind. The silence was nice, compared to the incessant buzz of high school.

There was silence in my head, too. That was even nicer.