Jessiah

Jessiah

The thump that sounded behind me sent my heart into overdrive. I swiveled around and saw the last thing I had expected; Anna, unconscious on the waxed floor.

My heart jumped into my throat and my knees hit the ground next to her. My hands hovered over her, unsure of what to do.

Fortunately, one of the teachers had noticed, but so had the rest of the class.

The teacher came running over, shoving his clipboard to a student.

“What happened?” he demanded, kneeling next to her.

“She passed out,” I pointed out the obvious. At his no-shit-Sherlock look, I quickly added, “She didn’t…get much sleep last night.”

The teacher nodded and stood. “I’ll call the nurse for her.”

As he started to walk away, I yelled, “Wait! I’ll bring her.”

It took a bit of persuading, but he eventually let me carry her to the nurse’s office.

I had picked her up before; a few months back when we were only starting our relationship. She was lighter than she had been. That was the first thing I noticed.

I examined her face, my lips pursed in thought. She was so pretty, beautiful even. Why she wanted to lose weight, I had no idea. She couldn’t weigh more than one hundred and ten pounds, if that. I had figured out more than she knew; she was Anorexic. I don’t think that I was the only one who had noticed, either.

The school nurse, an elderly woman with short white hair and pink cheeks, had me lie her down on a cot. I told her the same thing I told the gym teacher: “She didn’t get much sleep last night.”

The nurse accepted my story, but sent me back to class.

I went, but first I stopped in the hallway and sent out a group text to Victoria, Riley, Reximus, and Robin.

Anna passed out, I sent.

Victoria replied immediately. Why? What happened?

My hands shook as I typed out a response.

I don’t think she’s been eating.