Jessiah

Jessiah

It was just so compelling. I hadn't meant for it to get out of control, I swear.

My dad had left his matches out. I hadn't had time to buy a new lighter. Why not use them? They were right there, just out in the open. I just wanted to light the paper on fire. I didn't know that it would spread so quickly. Paper usually didn't light that quick.

The firefighters got there in time to save half of the kitchen, but the table, a few cupboards and counters, and the dishwasher were absolutely toasted. Literally.

I was relieved that they had gotten it under control so fast, but then they started to throw questions at me.

How did it start? Were you cooking something? Candles? Where are your parents, kid? Are you okay? Are you alright? Do you know what happened? Are you on drugs? Was it electrical?

And then, finally, my parents arrived with my youngest brother, Jared. But they had more questions. They were a bit more focused on my well being, however, and they were extremely repetitive.

Are you okay? Are you alright? Yes. Yes. I'm Fine. Are you sure? Do you need anything? Are you okay? Are you burned? Can you breathe?

The questions went on for an hour before they began to die off, and everyone reluctantly accepted me telling them that I had no idea how the fire had started.

"I just walked into the house and it smelled like smoke," I lied. "One of the burners on the stove was on fire, and spreading. I called nine-one-one as fast as I could."

The police officer nodded, finally, and climbed into his squad car. He didn't say another word, just drove off, soon followed by the fire truck.

My mom squeezed me into a hug and sighed against my chest. "I was so scared something happened to you!"

I chuckled. "I'm fine, Mom. Seriously."

She crossed her arms and stepped back. Her eyebrows furrowed as something popped into her head. "Wait, why aren't you in school?"

I face-palmed myself mentally. Of course. It was only noon.

I rubbed my neck. "One of my friends got hurt at school, so I went with him and some other people to bring him to his house and help him out. He should be okay."

My mom's lips parted to speak, but she stopped and her eyes focused on something behind me. "Hello, there," she said slowly.

I swiveled around. Anna stopped behind me, her face red and her hair tucked behind her ears.

I cursed lowly under my breath. I had thought that this day was going to be so perfect. Anna and I kissed for the first time that morning, and then for the second, third, and fourth when I dropped her off at her house with plans to meet at twelve.

She looked back and forth between my mom and I. I could tell that she was uncomfortable.

"Hello," she greeted, waving to my family.

I groaned softly and turned to face my mom, dad, and brother. "Um, this is Anna. She's my, well, girlfriend."

"Girlfriend?"

My mom exclaimed.

I gritted my teeth. "Yes, Mom. Anna is my girlfriend."

"Since when?" My dad asked.

I ran a hand through my hair nervously. "Almost three weeks, I think?" I looked to Anna for confirmation. She nodded.

My mom frowned. "And you didn't tell us?"

"Sorry," I said.

Her face suddenly brightened. "We should all go out to dinner! The kitchen's mostly gone, anyway, and it'd be a perfect way for us all to get to know each other."

"Uh..." Anna was becoming more uncomfortable with each passing moment. Her cheeks were even redder than they had been when she'd first walked up, something that I hadn't thought was even possible.

"Mom, I'm not sure that's such a good idea..."

"Sure it is!" she insisted. "We'll go pick up your brother from school and then we can all go down to some restaurant for dinner around five."

She didn't wait for an answer. She merely said a quick goodbye and went off toward her blue minivan with Jared still in her arms. My father followed her. It looked like they would not be taking “no” for an answer.

I turned back to Anna. "I'm so sorry," I apologized. "You really don't have to go if you don't want to."

Anna looked at me, deep in thought, and smiled, though it seemed a bit forced. "It's fine," she said. "I'll go."