10 | caffeine & carpe diem

1 0

CAFFEINE & CARPE DIEM

I asked for you and you gave me your world.

════════════════

I WALKED TO the door and reversed the sign board. Café Edwardico was finally open after being shut for a day.

"Doesn't it feel great?" Julia asked. I turned my head to look at her and she continued, "To reverse that sign board and open the café once again, after much hardwork?" I nodded ecstatically.

"This is why you should work in the café," Julia finally commented and I shot her a nasty look.

I mumbled, "How dare you when you know how much I love my profession!"

"Ah, calm down, woman. I'm joking," Julia laughed nervously as she moved her hands to signal a denial.

"Do we get something in return, for working so hard, Jules?" Chen asked, as he got up from the chair he was previously sitting on. Julia raised an eyebrow and folding her hands, she huffed.

"Ah, why not I gift you the entire café, sweet Chen?"

"I'd like that. It'd be a good business plan after retirement."

"Do not tempt me to throw something at you, you moron," Julia sneered.

"But I worked. That too, on a day when I was supposed to sit at home and chill," Chen complained, jokingly. Shiza who was seated beside him, laughed. Julia glared at them and replied, "You did nothing but seize the opportunity to flirt with my employee, Chen."

Chen faked offense and gasped, "I cannot believe you accused me of that!"

Julia waved him off and looked at him nonchalantly, "Just telling the truth."

"You're so ungrateful," Chen huffed and frowned. "Remind me to never work for you."

Julia was quick to reply back as she slyly smiled, "Ah, well, I never did ask you to help me, you know."

Chen groaned. Shiza giggled beside him and I laughed. Few seconds in, I quickly piped in, "Kids, kids. Keep your cool. Stop eating each other's head."

Chen remained in the café for a while after that, talking to us and occasionally sneering at Julia. It was something they shared. Julia adored Chen and so did he. It was often via these casual arguments they bonded and moreover, it amused me how well Chen and Julia did get along in the end.

Chen did leave, an hour later, after telling me that he'd visit me later some time to watch a movie together since the day was one among the few days we got our leave together. 

"Don't bother coming home. It'd mean I've to see your ugly face for a longer time," Julia snorted and took out few cake pieces and put them into a box. She smiled and handed it over to Chen.

"I may hate you, darling, but you did help me. So, here you go." She stretched her hand and handed over the parcel to Chen. Chen laughed and took it.

"I'll bring wine when I come over tonight. Don't have to bribe me, Jules," Chen teased.

"Please walk out of my café, before I kick you out."

"Fine, Medusa," Chen stuck his tongue out. "I'll gladly walk out of your cave."

"Why do you hang out with idiots?" Julia asked me and I merely smiled. Chen yelled, "You're one among them, idiot."

"Leave, please."