26 | grief & hold

2 6

GRIEF & HOLD

I'm sorry for not being able to protect you from the world.

════════════════

I MOVED TO the left of my bed, subconsciously. The entirety of the day was almost too perfect for my fragile heart to handle. It felt like it was the very first time I was falling for a man. The adrenaline rush kicked in quickly. My mind was filled with thoughts of this man who promised me the world.

It was very hard to sleep early and wake up early for work the next day when my thoughts were occupied and I couldn't help but smile all the time Taehyung took over my mind.

Taehyung and his sparkling eyes. Taehyung and his soft hair. Taehyung and his pretty face. Taehyung and his delicate caresses. Taehyung and his sweet talks. Taehyung and his perfect kisses. All that I could think of that night was Kim Taehyung.

I was snapped out of my thoughts instantly when the phone by my bedside vibrated and rang. Chen was calling at around ten in the night and I wondered whether it was yet another call to annoy me because he was bored.

"Liv," Chen's tone was distressed and worrisome, and that brought me to seriousness. If Chen had to call me late at night and not joke, it must be something really serious.

"Is everything alright?" I asked, getting up from my laying posture, to sit up straight. I ran a finger through my hair to slightly settle it down.

"You need to come to the hospital," Chen quickly informed. My eyes narrowed marginally, wondering whether this was some new scale prank by Chen.

"Is it an emergency?" I enquired. I got up from the bed, nonetheless. I dropped the phone on my bed after putting it on the speakers. I rushed to the cupboard and pulled out a shirt and jeans to wear and got ready as Chen continued speaking.

"Yes. I can't explain on phone. Come to the hospital quick. It's an emergency," Chen ordered and hung up. I brushed my hair and pulled it into a high ponytail. I grabbed my phone and ran out of my room, hoping to leave immediately after I informed Julia.

"Where are you going?" Julia, who was at the sofa, working, asked. Her head perked up, drifting her attention from the laptop. She looked at me carefully, analysing in her head probably that I was definitely in a hurry.

"The hospital. It's an emergency," I informed. She nodded. Julia was used to me running out of the house at odd timings. That's what the occupation of a doctor entitled me to - availability and dedication to the hospital I worked in. I also told her that I'd be taking her car. Julia merely nodded and waved her hand to gesture that I could in fact take the car.

I wondered how serious the emergency was for Chen to call me to come to the hospital. Chen Zhang was an excellent surgeon and there was absolutely no surgery he couldn't lead.

I reached the hospital quicker than it would generally have taken. The roads were emptier than usual and it probably had to do with the fact that it was almost the mid of the week. I parked at the hospital's parking lot and rushed to the hospital.

Chen was at the reception and I ran to him. Chen stopped me as soon as I reached him. With his grip still on my arms, Chen just looked at me, locking his eyes intently with mine.

I laughed nervously, "Chen, let go. We should be going to the operation theatre. You did call me because it was an emergency, right? What are we waiting for?"