20 | devil & angel

2 0

DEVIL & ANGEL

I hope you realise that the devil is a fallen angel.

════════════════

CHEN CALLED ME about eleven times. I successively avoided it nine times, until he decided to ring me up within a gap of two minutes, allowing the phone to ring and stop till he began all over again in less than a second.

"What, Chen?"

"Where are you going?" He rushed and I heaved a sigh.

"I'm safe, Chen. I'm just heading somewhere I really need to be," I muttered. "Take care of Julia, please." The Uber driver looked at me through his rear window and raised his eyebrows at me. I looked down sheepishly.

"I'm not getting laid tonight either way," he huffed and continued, "I have Julia with me. Don't worry."

"Chen?"

"Yeah?"

"Is Julia really alright?"

"She told you," he spoke only to have silence reach me from the other side immediately. "Oh."

"You knew?"

"She told me that morning. You know? When we were worried sick about you," Chen sneered quite subtly and I quickly zipped my mouth shut.

"I'm sorry, again, about that," I mumbled. "Just - Chen, take care. Beyond everything, ensure Julia is alright. I - She's everything and I can't even imagine her being in a state of sorrow. Since I can't obviously be there for her at this moment in this situation, Chen, pretty please, be there for her."

"I know how helpless you feel at this situation, Liv. I'll be there for her. Don't worry," Chen consoled me and I muttered a thanks.

"Bye, Chen. I'll be safe. I'm going to set things right once and for all. Also, I might not come home tonight."

"What do you -"

"You'll see," I smiled to myself and cut the call. The Uber driver who had been sneaking glances at me through the rear window finally spoke up and asked out of sheer concern, "Tough day, huh?"

"Absolutely," I sighed and put my head into my hands.

"Everything gets better. By the talks you had, that which I couldn't obviously help myself but hear, I think you're going to make a decision. Think through, okay? Irrespective of what your decision is, ensure that you do not regret it, twenty years from now," he advised and my head shot up. I looked at the driver through the mirror in front of him and he seemed to have been saying everything with some sort of age old experience.

"Are you alright, sir?"

"I am. Thank you for asking. I just don't want another person to make a decision and regret it," he mentioned and I moved myself a little forward to speak to the man properly.

"We all hide our pains up our sleeves and pretend to be someone else, don't we?"

"It's for the best," the driver smiled.

"Whatever you're going through, sir, I just want you to know it's not too late. It's actually never too late unless someone's dead," I suspired.

"You're such a sweetheart, dear," he smiled and looked at me as he turned. He drove the rest of the way in silence. I looked outside the window and I couldn't help but wonder if I would ever manage to adjust this well in any place other than Androsia. Maybe, I would.