13 | stitches & salvation

1 3

STITCHES & SALVATION

You're the kid who tried to find the end of the rainbow.

════════════════

JULIA WAS ANGRY.

I reached home in one piece and I was sure of that. Yet, Julia wasn't the happiest seeing me. I had rang the doorbell, waiting outside patiently for her to open the door.

"Liv," she exclaimed, happily, and then her expressions changed. Massively. She intently looked at me and I just shrunk and hugged myself under her scrutinising look.

With a hard look still lingering in her eyes, she gripped my hand tightly and dragged me into the house. She ran a finger on my face, tracing the marks and the bruises that were formed. Her eyes widened when she saw the cut with hardened blood on its crisp edges.

"Is this a joke?" Julia spilt her words, harsher than ever. "It's not even October, let alone Halloween's."

I kept quiet and let her speak. Moreover, I had nothing in defence. Julia had all the rights to be angry, worried and extremely mad at me. After all, she was my best friend and could pass for as my guardian.

"Oh," Julia raised her eyebrow at me. "So, you're now choosing to remain quiet. How nice of you!"

I was touched that she was truly concerned and that it was probably her worry that resulted in her anger and fury. However, Julia was never this mad at me and after everything that happened tonight - irrespective of I wanting it or not - I did not deserve more raised voices at me or any further anger.

"Come with me," she mumbled, realising that she should in all likelihood, calm down her wits. Julia walked to my room and gestured at me to sit there.

"For the love of God, woman, please seat yourself there for a while," Julia's eyes reflected concern and I nodded. Julia walked out of the room, leaving me alone. I let out a sigh and placed my head on my hands.

To say I was tired would not have been a lie. I was immensely exhausted with everything around me. I wanted my happy life back. I wanted those smiled and tears of joy once again.

Often, the burden was too heavy to bear. I would be lying if I said I'd have never thought of ending it all. However, I knew I was stronger than that. I had so much more to offer.

"Are you crying?" Julia asked as she walked into the room with a box containing tweezers, some alcoholic pads, bandages and cloth.

My head shot up. The tears that were being formed in my eyes slowly slid down and Julia looked at me, worried. I was crying out of frustration at this point. I was so tired of everything.

Julia placed the box beside her as she sat next to me. She still uttered no word. The room was extremely silent and our breathing seemed louder than usual, thanks to the silence that had engulfed the room as a whole.

She took out the tweezers and slowly touched the side of my face, making sure she didn't touch my bruises, and tilted it to face her. Julia locked eyes with me for a minute and then, continued focusing on my cut, trying to get any glass shard or anything out.

"Why do you go back to him?" Julia asked, breaking the silence, thankfully. She stopped on her work and looked at me. I kept quiet and looked down at my lap till Julia continued, "Why do I bother? You are more likely to keep quiet again."

"I don't know," I mumbled. I still looked at my lap, for my embarrassment and confusion in this situation helped me no better than that.

"Aren't you going to lie to me that you fell down the stairs again?" Julia asked as she pulled out a shard of glass very carefully from my cut. I winced and clutched tightly onto the bed sheets.