15 | champagne & sunshine

1 5

CHAMPAGNE & SUNSHINE

I've been running through the jungle; I've been crying with the wolves to get to you.

════════════════

"GET BACK HOME in one piece, babe," Chen called out to me when I was about to leave. I chuckled and nodded, as I left. If only, Chen. If only you knew how many fragments I had been shattered into, after everything.

"Yes, Chen. Don't worry," I sighed as I shook my head helplessly. He always did get supremely worried for me. He looked at me with a solicitous expression on his face. I smiled widely to assure him.

I decided to walk back home. Taking a cab at this hour in the night seemed like much work, and walking back home could add up as my exercise for the day.

The night was quiet. The salmon and purple sky had transformed into a vast expanse of jet black that had engulfed the town. I looked upwards and saw the stars. I've always been fascinated by them, weirdly. They were after all celestial bodies giving out their light. It amused me and left me awestruck at the fact that something so bright and radiating could die and be as empty as it could get.

Mayhap that's what happened to Xavier and I, and yet, it wasn't. We sparked and flamed bright like a newly lit matchstick in the beginning and like any other matchstick, ours died. It began fading months back till it had fallen victim to extinguishment.
However, here we both were, trying to light a burned out matchstick and failing miserably as we burn our hands.

The message Xavier had send had bothered me a lot. My mind kept back repeating the lines over and over again.

An eye on you; a chime runs through. Oh baby, I do adore you. An eye on you. Adore. Resonance. Adoration. Obsession. Adoration.

I could never understand what exactly was holding me back and preventing me from dropping it all and fleeing. Was it love or fear, at this point?

Xavier scared me, yet everytime I looked at him, memories hit me hard. I loved this man. I did. Nothing was wrong. Nothing is wrong. It's all an illusion.

Be that as it may, it wasn't. It never will be.

My mind was going crazy with the overload of thoughts and analysing them. I needed alcohol in my system. It was almost as if I craved it. I craved anything to get my mind off the worries I had. I wanted to run away for the problems. I was always a coward.

After walking about five hundred metres ahead, a supermarket was seen and I smiled to myself. I could get myself some liquor finally.

I walked into the supermarket and the cashier looked at me, with a quirked eyebrow. I spared a glance and continued to head to the section where I knew I'd find myself some cider.

I grabbed a bottle of hard cider and examined it. It looked pristine. I held two of it securely in my grip and walked to the cashier. I placed it before him and he raised his eyebrows at me, judging every action of mine.

"Are you legal enough to buy and drink this, ma'am?" He asked me. I nodded and he mumbled, "ID, please."

I searched through my bag for my driver's licence. Finding anything in my bag was a herculean task. I huffed in annoyance. The cashier looked at me, unamused.

"Don't I look like I'm legal enough to drink this?" I puffed, and continued searching in my bag. He looked at me sternly, "No."

"I'm flattered that you called me young, but shut up. I'm searching," I huffed out in frustration. His eyes widened in surprise at the sudden rudeness. I found my ID and quickly placed it before him.