11 | sheep & wolves

1 1

SHEEP & WOLVES

We all pretend most of the times – to please the one we like. Eventually, we're all no better than the other.

════════════════

"LIV, WOULD YOU mind having dinner with my family and I today, at the palace?" Xavier's voice boomed through the speakers of my phone. I sat up straight on the sofa and as I turned to look at Julia, I realised that she had already been watching me from when I had picked the phone up.

"Tonight, Xav?" I asked, my voice meek and timid. I've wondered how it always were tones different when I spoke to Xavier.

"Yeah, babe," he said and I hummed. I quickly mumbled, "I'll be there tonight."

"I can't wait to see you, babe," Xavier said, sounding delighted and I smiled. He disconnected the call and I threw the phone beside me on the sofa.

"Xavier, huh?" Julia asked as she leaned forward on the breakfast table, which was opposite to the sofa and the television.

I nodded and began explaining, "He wants me to have dinner with his family tonight." I fidgeted with the ends of my t-shirt and leaned back on the sofa.

"Well, you don't have a choice either way in this relationship, do you? She snorted and raised an eyebrow at me. I looked at Julia, hurt, but with absolute knowledge that what she told was the truth.

"I wish I could get back to work soon," I muttered. "At least then, I'd be busy and wouldn't have to worry about all this."

"You're a workaholic, woman," Julia chuckled and propped her head on her hand. "You're also a coward, because all I see you doing is running away from your feelings."

"I do not run away from my feelings," I gasped and Julia smirked.

"Well, explain why you get all cute and embarrassed around Taehyung, while you're scared and obedient like a submissive around Xavier," Julia shot and I was taken aback.

I turned completely to face Julia and just stared at her. Truth is, it felt real when Julia said it out loud. My thoughts snapped and it was as if something within me agreed with Julia's accusations.

"You agree, don't you?" Her lips curved wider and I looked down.

Irrespective of how many times my thoughts had brought about various scenarios and possibilities, along with that same recurring thought, that moment Julia voiced it out loud, it all dawned on me. Julia looked at me, worried if all the toxicity was slowly getting to me.

"I didn't mean to upset you, Liv," Julia spoke to me, slowly. She pushed herself away from the breakfast table and walked towards me. She immediately plopped down next to me.

"I know you didn't, Jules," I smiled and rested my head on her shoulder. I could feel a ghost of a smile on her face.

"I kind of knew he'd call you for dinner tonight," Julia begins after a brief moment of silence that had swallowed us.

My head shot up from her shoulder to look at her. I gave her a perplexed expression and she only chuckled.

"It's a full moon tonight," she stated and I looked at her, hoping to find some actual reason.