Chapter 16: Crucio

(Edited)

~~~~~•Y/n POV•~~~~~

I was trying hard to avoid Remus's gaze during dinner. I felt horrible for betraying him. I glanced at him and it looked like he had been crying. But why? I mean I was one of his best friends and we haven't talked in a while but I thought he didn't care about me anymore in any way.

"I've got to go," he stood up, "Prefect duties."

"Bye Remus," we all said.

I noticed his eyes lit up a tad after realizing that I had said bye too, but he went back to normal not even a moment later. Everyone finished their meal and we headed back to the Common Room.

Sirius got the map, pointed his wand at it, and said, "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

It was beautiful, the map showed the location of everyone. James got his invisibility cloak and put it on us.

"Good luck guys."

~~~~~•James POV•~~~~~

"Guys," I whispered, "Remus is on the fifth floor."

We walked to the fifth floor and saw Remus against the wall. He had a few tears flowing down his face. It made me feel bad for him and I zoned out. I immediately snapped back to reality when Sirius pointed out that McGonagall was coming. We listened in to the conversation as she began to speak to Remus.

"Mr. Lupin, are you alright? You don't look well."

"Thank you Minnie, I'm not feeling my best but I'll be able to do this job."

McGonagall passed him a pack of tissues, "muggle inventions can be quite useful sometimes, curfew starts in a few minutes, you know what to do when you see someone out of bed. I'll leave you here, goodnight Mr. Lupin."

"Goodnight Minnie."

As she walked away she looked suspicious. I checked the map; Severus, Avery, and Mulciber were still in the Slytherin Common Room. Lily, Peter, and Marlene were also still in the Common Room. I may tell her my feelings a lot, but I know it comes off as a joke and there's so much more that I wish I could tell her.

_______________

~~~~~•Y/n POV•~~~~~

I almost fell asleep when Sirius yelled out that Snivellus is coming with Avery and Mulciber. They were somewhere behind a wall behind Remus, but we couldn't just approach them. They approached silently, well silent until we heard a spell that we'd likely hear many more times in the future. A curse so horrible, it could haunt our futures and even cause people to go insane. The Cruciatus Curse.

I wanted to scream as Remus collapsed on the floor, as Snape and Mulciber laughed at Avery's doing. He continued doing it, all Remus could do was scream. I knew it was my fault.

I pointed my wand at Snape from under the cloak, "PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!"

Avery stopped torturing Remus and Mulciber yelled out Snape's name.

"Let me have a go," Sirius whispered, "Expelliarmus."

Avery's wand flew out of his hand, and before he was able to react, Remus got up and punched them both square in the nose. Then he petrified them and took them somewhere, probably McGonagall's office.

~~~~~•Sirius POV•~~~~~

We practically ran back to the Common Room.

"What happened," Marlene inquired, "is everything alright?"

"Yes darling," I replied, kissing her cheek, "but Avery used the Cruciatus Curse on Remus a few times, we'll discuss it when Moony gets back."

Y/n was looking down, fiddling with her fingers. Remus better find a way to fix it fast and she needs to act more rationally.

Remus walked in and immediately went, "Padfoot, Prongs, I know you were there, how did you know that Snape, Avery, and Mulciber were going to be there? Tell me now."

We all went silent.

"Well," Remus asked, slightly annoyed, "are you going to tell me or not?"

"Remus," Y/n sighed, "I think I ought to explain."

~~~~~•Y/n POV•~~~~~

"Well L/n," Remus demanded, "go ahead and explain."

I sighed once more before beginning. "Yesterday I got a letter from Severus, he asked me for your schedules so he can get revenge on you for the both of us. Of course I gave it to him, I was mad, I still am. I know it was stupid and I don't know what I was thinking, but I didn't think they'd do anything like that...."

It was still silent, Remus gestured for me to continue.

"It wasn't until this morning when he told me when he was going to do it, he also didn't tell me what he was going to do, he just said you'd probably end up going to the Hospital Wing. I told him to stop but he called me a filthy mudblood and said you deserved whatever you'd get." I was tearing up now. Remus couldn't even look at me. "I told everyone here about their plan, so James, Sirius, and I snuck out to help you."

"Y/n what do you mean of course? You let anger cloud your judgement. We were best friends weeks ago for Merlin's sake! I'm not even angry... I just thought you were better than that."

It was awfully silent after that.

"I know... I'll go now," and with that I walked away from them. I went into my dorm and began to sob.

~~~~~•Remus POV•~~~~~

I watched as she walked upstairs, she was a mess. The only way to fix all of this is to tell her. To tell her about what I am. About the madness within.

"Moony," Peter sighed, "are you alright?"

"No Wormtail I'm not alright," I started crying a little, "truth is I'm so broken inside, I don't know what to do with my life. I can't even be angry at her. I need to tell you guys something."

"Go ahead Remus," Lily gave me a sad smile, "we're listening."

"The other day I sent Y/n a note," I paused, "in this note I had told her to meet me in the Astronomy Tower in two weeks, I clearly need to do it sooner, because I was going to tell her about how I'm a werewolf."

Everyone looked at me and smiled. "Finally!"

"THAT'S RIGHT," James and Sirius began to yell, "OUR MOONY IS GOING TO GET Y/N BACK AND THEN THEY'RE BOTH GOING TO GET MARRIED AND DO UNSPEAKABLE THINGS TO EACH OTHER!"

"One thing at a time guys," Marlene giggled, "and they'd probably read to each other while doing it or role play as fictional characters."

"My god," I gasped, "why am I friends with you guys?"

"Because you love us."

"Nah Lily, he loves Y/n."

"Shut it Peter."