Prolouge

[AN// just so you guys know I'm heavily editing this because I started it when I was eleven and ended it when I was about to turn twelve, and I now realise how bad of a writer I was at those ages. there will probably be major plot changes too. So sorry if there are any major plot holes or inconsistencies, hopefully when I'm done this'll seem like a whole new book!]

The television switched from static, to an almost horror movie like scenario. The scene was chaotic. People running, screams being bellowed from the streets. The most disturbing part was the fact there was blood...everywhere.

'The infected are highly dangerous. They have been reported to be seen biting or even killing people, even their family members. If you are bit or even scratched, we encourage you to go to the nearest hospital or medical centre. Avoid the infected at all cost-' the news reporter is cut off in a scream as her editor comes up behind her, grabs her and bites chunks of flesh from her neck.

I gasp and stumble back from the TV, grasping my little brothers shoulder. He turns to look at me, his eyes wide with fear.

And then we heard the door click open.

I push him up the stairs of our two story home, willing myself not to scream. I frantically shove him into the bathroom and lock the door behind us. He grabs a pair of sewing scissors from the airing cupboard and we crawl back into the furthest corner of the small room. I squeeze my eyes tight together as I hear the sound of delayed footsteps, limping up the stairs toward us. I wrap my arms around him and he puts his finger on his lips, signalling for us to stay quiet. I slowly get up and stand on the counter next to the sink: peering out the patterned glass window, and see the worst possible thing.

The whole block is filled with them. The infected.

We're trapped.