Chapter 14

ZOE'S POV
Kill me. Is the only thought I can process. Every single part of me hurts, and I'm caked in my own blood. But I still haven't told him anything. That's partly due to the fact I'm in and out of consciousness every two minutes, but is still never betray the group of people I see as family.

The Governors lackeys have joined in on the fun too. Hitting, using weapons and verbally abusing me. They've not managed to break me yet...and then they touch on a soft spot.
"What was your brothers name again?" The lanky one with Black hair says. I grind my teeth together.
"Shut up." I demand him. How do they even know about him?
"Tim? Thomas?...Tom?"
"Shut up!" I scream at him. A smug smile spreads across the governor's face and he steps forward again. Sitting on a wooden stool in front of me in the claustrophobic room; he continues to tear me apart.

"Ah, yes. Tom." He says. "He was shot, wasn't he-" I squeeze my eyes shut, tight.
"Stop." I whisper, struggling to keep my voice steady.
He laughs, clapping his hands together as if we were children on a playground and he was the little boy pulling my pony tails. "How many times was he shot? Only once, right? Well, he was just eleven." I place my hands over my ears as best as I can, but being bound to the chair doesn't help. Noticing I'm starting to crack, he continues, enjoying this tremendously.
"Why didn't you protect him?" He asks loudly, almost shouting at this point. "He was your little brother! And you let him die, just like that!" I begin to cry, my head hanging in shame and mental agony. I did let him die. I didn't help out as much as I should have, I didn't protect him properly.
"What's the matter, Zoe? Should I bring in someone you're more aquatinted with to help you?" His words are muffled over the ringing in my ears and my hands being clasped over them. But I hear as he calls the name I don't want to hear.
I hear as he calls in Caden.

[AN// Just a reminder this book IS under construction! There will probably be a lot of plot holes and chapters won't match up to what happened previously until I finish editing it! I'll try and get it finished as quickly as possible, but I start school again tomorrow and things will be pretty hectic for me. Love you all, - Liffey.]