Chapter 19

ZOES POV
Apparently I was out of it for two weeks. Meaning, I've basically missed a full two weeks on his worthless planet. According to Hershel, I have this thing called Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, but then again, who doesn't now. We live in a world full of dead people trying to eat living people. He kept trying to get me to talk about what happened when I was taken. The first time I tried, I had to have Carol help me leave the room because I think I started hyperventilating. After that, I forced myself too. I told him everything that happened right up until I passed out. Everything. How Caden stalked me, how Tom and I unknowingly killed his family. Everything. Hershel gave me some pills and I can now sleep throughout the entire night without waking up screaming. It helps I sleep in the same bad as Carl again, too.

I remember once when I was seven, I fell from the monkey bars in the school playground. My arm broke in two places and I can remember just screaming and crying until my parents rung an ambulance. When I arrived at the hospital, they had to give me a drug to knock me out because I hated the place so much. Compared to now, a hospital seems like a luxury.

"Hey beautiful," Carl says, walking up behind me and snapping me out of my thoughts. I scream and he jumps back. I quickly clap my hand over my mouth.
"Sorry, sorry!" I say. "I'm just a bit jumpy..."
"Don't be sorry, I shouldn't have snuck up on you. Wanna go outside?" He says, guilt in his eyes. I smile and nod and he grabs my hand. Im not sure what Carl and I are now. But I know I can't just be his friend. We pick a spot on the field relatively far away from the fences and where you can only slightly hear the walkers and sit. A grin spreads across my face as he pulls me onto his lap. The sun's just starting to set so it's beautiful outside for once.
"What are we, Carl?" I muse, speaking softly. I stop staring at the sunset and turn to face the brown haired and blue eyed boy I can't seem to stop thinking about.
"Human, I suppose." He smirks. I smile, slapping his arm.
"Shut up, you know what I mean."
"I want you to be my girlfriend." He says seriously. I smile, leaning my head into the crops of his neck.
"I'd love too."