Chapter 34

"Where did you get our stuff?!" I shout.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Gareth says. I watch Rick's knuckles go white as the grip on Gareth's pale throat tightens. Gareth seems surprisingly calm, considering he's being strangled right now.

"The poncho, the watch. The riot gear, that's ours!"

"We got em' off... A couple of dead guys." Gareth says quickly. "They didn't need them anymore, we did."

"Our group is here and your gonna tell us where, asshole." Rick hisses.

"Run!" I yell when I hear the first shots being fired. Carl grabs my wrist and makes sure I'm able to keep up with him, considering my foot is messed up to the point of pain right now. I take my gun out of my holster and look up at the top of a roof. Snipers, fuck. There's me and my pistol, against grown men, on roofs, with sniper rifles. I squint as I aim, breath out and slowly, and squeeze the trigger as I aim for the head of the man shooting at us. I miss and hit him in the shoulder, but it delays him from being at the gun for a moment, so that's something. I guess.

"Go, go! Into that roo- SHIT!" I scream as I feel a sharp, burning pain run through my shoulder. I know this feeling all to well. I've been shot.

"No, no, no!" Carl yells as I fall to the ground in a bloody heap. "It's okay, you're gonna be fine. Just hold onto me, okay?" He says as he pulls me up, leaning all of my weight onto him. With his help, we half run, half limp until we enter some sort of shrine type room.

Blood is pouring put of my shoulder at a terrifying rate. I black out a few times, but I'm determined to keep going. I'm still clinging around Carls neck and waist as my legs go weak. I'm smart enough to know that the bullet must've punctured a vein or something.

"Come on, get up, please!" Carl cries as I slump down onto the floor, my shirt stained through with blood.

"Oh fuck!" Daryl exclaims when he sees me. "Zoe? Oh fuck, she's loosin' so much blood."

"I'm okay..." I slur drowsily. "Just...help me...up." My words come out slow and slurred, as if I were drunk. Daryl picks me up and runs. I'm determined to keep my eyes open, because I'm scared that if I close my eyes, they're never going to open again. I tuck my pistol firmly in the back of my jeans, hidden by my shirt. I have a feeling I'm going to need it. They run until I'm squinting in the sun light, fighting consciousness. I can vaguely smell smoke and see it clouding my eyes as everything goes silent. We've stopped.

"I see you don't trust us anymore." Gareth shouts from somewhere. His voice echoes in my ears, sending vibrations down my spine. I moan as the pain throughout my whole body intensifies.

"Daryl, I'll take her. Get your crossbow." Carl whispers quietly. I feel myself resurface on the ground, Carl supporting me. I lean my head into his neck, breathing in his musky smell.

"Over by the train car! In this order!" Gareth booms. "Ring leader!" Rick steps forward.

"Drop your weapons at the door!" Gareth tells us. "The archer!" Daryl shoots us a look, but unwillingly walks over to the red train car.

"The samurai!" Michonne soon follows.

"My son!" Rick shouts.

"My daughter!" Daryl chimes in. I can almost feel the gun barrels pressing into our skulls as Gareth replies.

"The kid! The girl." Completely leaning on Carl, we make our way over to the car. I drop my knife, pretending it's the only weapon I have.

We enter the train car, and I collapse in the darkness.