Chapter 27

I wake up the next morning wrapped in Carl's arms. I quietly roll over to see the sleeping boy. He looks so peaceful and sweet when he sleeps. His hair's all over the place and he's snoring lightly. I decide to kiss him awake. So I lean closer to him and lightly kiss him on the lips. His eyes flutter open and he smiles brightly. He pulls me closer to him by the waist so I'm half leaning, half sitting on top of him, and we start making out. If it wasn't for the walkers, I would say right now is genuinely perfect.

"Well, good morning, sunshine." I laugh when he pulls away. He smiles.

"Good morning, beautiful." He says, making me blush as I roll out of his grasp.

"As much as I'd like to stay here and kiss you, and believe me, I want that a lot... We have to go on a run today." I tell him. He pouts. "We have to scavenge through some of the houses, see if there's anything good."

"Aw, damn." He moans as he gets up and starts getting dressed. He has so many flannel shirts that I decide to steal one. I button up the red and black checkered top and tuck it into my black leggings. Considering Carl is a lot taller then me, his shirts are bigger. I lace up my combat boots and put my blonde hair into a bun.

"How do I look?" I laugh, striking a pose. Carl puts his hands on my hips and kisses my neck.

"Stunning, as always." He mumbles into my ear. I kiss him on the cheek and grab his hand, pulling him with my down the stairs.

"Rick, can Carl and I go on a run?" I ask Rick as Carl goes over to Michonne. He is laughing about the fact that she's wearing a white shirt. Strange child.

"Sure, just don't leave the block and be careful of walkers." He tells me. "And...other things." Or in other words, people. Aka, people like the governor. I nod. Carl slides my gun into my back pocket for me as I walk over to him. I place my knife into my belt and we leave.

Carl and I have become a lot more aware of the walkers after what happened at the prison. I mean, I'm not saying we weren't before, but we lived life a lot easier when we had fences to keep them out. I kick a walker in the knees so it buckles forward, screeching and thrashing its arms around, until I plunge my knife into the back of its head. Never waste a bullet unless you need it. After all, it could be the one that saves your life. All together, Carl and I take out seventeen walkers until we decide it's safe enough to go into some of the houses without getting eaten on the way there. The front door of one was caved inwards, making it impossible to open, so I go through the broken window. Carl follows me after. We bang on the walls with our fists until we're absolutely certain nothing's in here.

"Look for anything we could use. Food, medicine, clothes, ect." I tell him, he nods and instantly goes to the kitchen. I shake my head. Such a boy.

I walk into the bathroom and see a medicine cabinet, filled with medicines.

"Oh my god." I whisper to myself as I put everything into my backpack. I look upstairs and see nothing we could use. Hopefully Carl had more luck. I walk into the kitchen to see Carl holding a one hundred and twelve ounce tin of chocolate pudding.

"Zoe...do you like chocolate pudding?" He smiles.