Chapter 1

We trekked through the woods together. Cold and alone, it was nothing new to us though. This whole 'apocalypse' started a long time ago...we haven't seen anyone since. Well, except for the walkers.
"Zoe..." Tom starts, looking at me as we walk down the long ago deserted streets of Georgia. "Do you think...that other people are still alive? Like...mom and dad, or Mya and Nikki?" I sigh. He shouldn't have to deal with all this at his age. He's too young to have to know that everything he does could result in his death. The worst part is...he still believes our parents and little sisters are still alive. But...they're not.
I don't have it in me to tell him that we're all alone in this world. I just can't tell him our family is dead.

"I don't know Tom. I wish I could tell you yes...but I can't." I tell him sadly. He nods and looks down at the ground, I can see him trying to disguise the fact he's crying. I'm about to pull him into a hug when we hear the sound of feet. But it's followed up by something unexpected. The sound of human voices and cars. Tom smiles and starts to run towards the voices. I forget sometimes that he's younger then me, even if it's only a couple of years. I've tried to teach him yet he doesn't understand that it's not just the walkers that are a danger now. I pull out my gun and start running towards him; desperately yelling his name.
I hear a gun shot and wince, freezing.
"Tom!" I scream, running faster. But it's too late.
I see my baby brother lying motionless on the blood stained gravel, crimson liquid pooling from his stomach onto his shirt,

"No, no. No!" I yell. I run to him and kneel by his side, pulling up his shirt. It's horrific. I look up and see the boy who did this, he's about my age and he's holding a gun in his shaking hands, a look of horror planted across his face. Beside him is a pale man with a crossbow and a beautiful dark skinned woman.
"What did you do?" I whisper, tears are running down my face. The boy drops the gun.
"I-I didn't see him!" He yells, obviously scared out of his wits.
"C'mon!" The man with the crossbow shouts. "What're we wait in' around for?! We gotta get this kid to Hershel!" The man picks him up and I cling to his shirt, screaming louder. The woman restrains me and covers my mouth.
"Don't worry, we're gonna fix him up. You have to be quiet though, the walkers will hear." They lay him over the two back seats of the car. I sit in the middle row with the boy that shot him, and the man and woman in the front. I sit with my elbows on my knees and my head in my hands, crying.
"Oh god, oh god; oh god." I whisper through my tears. Tom is the only thing I have left in this world, he's my baby brother, he's my everything. I needed to protect him and I failed.
"I'm so sorry." The boy whispers. I look up, enraged. I can see red and my blood is boiling.
"Sorry?! You're sorry? You might have killed my little brother and you think a sorry is going to make me forgive you?! He's all I have left, don't you get that?" My voice hitches at the end and I squeeze my eyes shut. Not before I notice how his face is so pale, but as is mine. I look back at my lap, noticing my blood covered shirt and hands.
"I thought he was a walker..." He whispers.
"Stop trying to fix this." I whisper shakily. "I honestly don't care about what you have to say now, you just better hope he lives."