Chapter 35

I can vaguely hear the muffled voices over the ringing in my ears. From my brief moments of consciousness, I see Carl leaning over me, sobbing onto my chest. I can see most of our group from the prison is alive and here, and a few new people. They're making weapons out of things like zips.
Right. That'll help.

"No! Somebody has to help her! You can't just let her die!" Carl yells.

"Carl," I whisper, curling my fingers along his cheek bone. He smiles at me sympathetically, tears rolling off his face.

"You're going to be okay. Just stay awake. You've survived this before, you can do it again. Come on, baby," he sobs.

"Carl," I say again, choking on my own words. I take my gun out of my back pocket and hand it to him. "You're gonna get out of here alive, I'm not. Okay? Don't let me. I can't be dragging you guys down. I can't. I can't." He shakes his head rapidly, turning the metallic weapon over in his hands before throwing it to the ground with a crash.

"No, not without you. There can't just be one without the other, Zo." He sobs hysterically, staring at the gun with a look I can only describe as burning hatred.

"You're gonna have too, baby." I sob. "You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, do you know that? You have to leave me. I'm just a dead weight, you know that!"

"You're my world, Zoe. I need you. You can't die, I won't let you." He promises me. I look around the train car, they've stopped what they're doing. Everyone's watching us. Some of the people that I was close to at the prison are crying. I smile at them weakly.

"They're gonna feel pretty stupid when they figure it out, huh?" I laugh weakly, but I soon start to cough. I cringe away as blood lands on my hand. I wipe it off quickly, but not before Carl see's it. "That they're fucking with the wrong people." Daryl nods, leaning down by my head, struggling to contain his sobs. He looses control and buries his face in his hands.

"I love you Carl. So much." I say. "You're my whole world, alright? You once said you'd do anything for me, so you need to shoot me." I say, pulling my necklace out from my shirt. He takes his out with a smile, and leans into kiss me on the lips.

"I love you too, Zoe Taylor." He says, gripping my hand until his knuckles turn white. "More then life itself. But I can't shoot you."
"Then somebody else had too!" I all but scream. Pain wrenches through my body and I yelp, looking up at him. "Please, don't... I cant..." He looks down, fiddling with my hair.
"Okay." He whispers. "Okay." He picks up the gun.
"Daryl, you're like my dad. I'm never gonna forget you. I love you. You too, Rick, Michonne... Everyone." I choke, tears rolling down my face as I come to the realisation that I'm going to die. I'm dying.

"I love you too, Zo." Daryl whispers. I see Rick, stroking back my hair with a small, weak smile. I take a hold of Carls hand and smile at him.

"Goodnight, baby." I cry as my heart rate slows and I struggle to breath. My vision starts to fade as I breath out my last words. "I love you." I place the barrel of the gun in his hand at my head and my eyes flutter shut. I feel myself fall limp against his legs and feel completely drained.

It's peacefull.

Calm.

I'm dying. I know that.

But it's okay.

"I love you too. Forever and always, Zoe. Goodnight baby." He cries. He inhales deeply...

And he squeezes the trigger.

It's in that one moment, that split second, that I remember everything. My first day of pre-school. Seeing Tom for the first time. Hearing my little sisters laugh. My mom and dad telling me they love me as the tuck me into my bed. Those sleepless nights with Tom, during the first days of the outbreak as we would tell stories of our family. The last hug I gave him. Meeting Carl for the first time. My new family. Our first kiss. The first time he told me he loved me. Me sleeping in his bed. My fifteenth birthday. The necklace. The last time he told me he loved me...

Everything

But these are just some of the things we lost.

All those memories in such a short time. And now... It's all over. I feel my heart come to a stop and I fade into whatever abyss death brings. As fucked up as the world was, I'm going to miss it. My thoughts haze as I loose consciousness for the last time ever.

And it's all over.

-------

AN// Guys! It's over, my story is finished 😭 what do I do with my life now? 😂💕 thank you all for reading this and for all the kind comments it got, I love you all! 💕 goodbye! 💕