Chapter 18

CARLS POV
Everything from the next couple of weeks is a blur. The only thing I was able to focus on were the small tasks like going on runs, and her. She had to get her shoulder reallocated, stitched her side up and a load of other things. After that she slipped into shock. Two weeks later, and she still hasn't woken up from her kind of comatose state. She's awake, but she doesn't eat, she doesn't drink and she doesn't speak. All she does is scream in her sleep. The bruises inked all over her skin have gone from a raging red and dark violet, to a strange yellow colour. She's patched up and she'll live, but I just want her to be okay mentally.

She's in our cell, and is always with one person. Either I'm either, or Daryl or Hershel. Sometimes Beth, too. Sometimes she just gets up and walks around. She doesn't do it for any apparent reason, but I'm afraid she'll leave the prison, or somehow get to walkers. Everyone's keeping a close eye on her, but we're being especially careful too keep her away from cell block D. It was being used for a bunch of sick people who seemed to have come down with this kind of...flu. Patrick was the first to get it. He didn't make it. All of the others who have it have been moved to a bigger cell block because there's so many of them. Hershel's scared that the fact Zoe's immune system is so weak right now, she might catch it too. But...I'm trying to think optimistically. Trying being the key word there.

Daryl and I stand by the fence trying to kill as many walkers as we can. They like to cluster up and push down the chain link, and if they get in we're screwed. Daryl uses the arrows from his crossbow to do it and I use my knife. We all take turns doing this job, although it's pointless really. They just come back. They never leave us alone.
"Carl!" My dad shouts into the field Daryl and I are in. "Daryl, come here!" Instantly, we drop everything and get up. If it wasn't about Zoe, he wouldn't be asking for just us.

I instantly run to my cell and see her sitting up, painfully, trying to drink a cup of water. She looks up, noticing my dad, Daryl, Hershel and I standing in the door way.
"Hi," she whispered croakily. I run in and throw my arms around her tightly.
"Zoe." I cry. She wraps her arms around my waist, still holding the plastic cup. I can hear her sobbing into my chest. "Are you okay?" I whisper.
"I will be, yeah." She murmurs into my neck.
"I love you. Don't ever leave me again." I say, pulling away.
"I'm not going anywhere, I'm gonna stay here and cause all kinds of trouble." She states quietly.
"Me too." I promise.I do the one thing I probably shouldn't, but I can't help it. I kiss her, not caring about the others in the room. I pull away reluctantly and wipe the tears from her face and mine. She smiles.

"Daryl," she chokes. He smiles and sits on the floor near her, pulling her into a tight hug. This almost makes me gasp. I literally never see Daryl display affection.
"I'm kinda broken," she says when he lets go. She points to her shoulder and side with a weak smile.
"Nah, kid. That's not something to smile about." Daryl says, hugging her again.
"Did you kill him?" She says quietly, averting her gaze to the white sheets of the small bed she's laying in.
"The Governor?" My dad asks. She shakes her head and then winces.
"Caden?" I ask softly, grabbing her small hand and making small circles with my thumb. She hesitates and nods. Daryl shakes his head.
His voice comes out angrier that expected. "He's alive." Zoe nods.
"Okay."
"But you're safe. Okay? No ones going to let you get hurt now." I remind her, staring into her eyes. I missed them. She nods, leaning her head into my neck and shutting her eyes.