Chapter 6

Carl and the others came back a couple of hours later, and I decided we should talk about what happened between us. It happened two days ago now and things have been awkward since,
"Carl?" I ask as he walks into the prison. There's a stern look on his face but it vanishes the second our eyes meet. I must say I'm relieved he's okay, runs can be dangerous from what I've heard. They won't let me do one yet though. "Can we talk"
"Sure," He replies. He looks worried. It's kind of adorable I almost laugh.
"You're not in trouble," I smile slightly. He pretends to wipe sweat from his forehead and sighs in relief, earning a shake of my head from me. I grab his sleeve and lead him to our cell.

I'm not sure how to bring up what I want to talk to him about. The truth is I really like him. Like... That. But I can't.
"Okay... I'm just gonna come out with it. I like you... A lot." I spit out nervously and rub my hand against the back of my neck.
"Wait...what?" He sounds shocked, but a ghost of a smile plays on his lips.
"Ever since we kissed I just..."
"I like you too, Zoe. I just didn't know how to tell you."
"But that's why nothing can happen between us." I sigh.
"Why?" He frowns, looking confused. I sit down on the bed and he follows, grabbing one of my hands.
"Because I don't want anything to happen to you!" I exclaim quietly. He shakes his head, his light brown curls bouncing around his face. "I'd always blame myself and I can't take anymore of that. It's totalling up and... I'm still not over Tom." Tears well in my eyes and he nods slightly.
"We can work through it." He smiles. I shake my head.
"Did you not listen to anything I just said?" I ask, completely serious. He nods.
"I did but I don't believe any of it. You're strong, the strongest person I've ever met. And that's why I want you to be my girlfriend." I shake my head again not sure if I'm disagreeing to being strong or being with him.
"No,-" I start. He cuts me off before I can finish.
"Be my girlfriend?" He smiles. I smile, I throw my face into my hands.
"No, Carl." I tell him seriously. He nods, giving up.
"Okay." He smiles sadly, and kisses me on the cheek. "Im not gonna stop trying."