Chapter 10

My knife leaves little white grooves on my sweaty palm from where I'm clutching it so tightly. I'm on a run with Daryl, Glenn, Tyreese and Caden. At the moment, things aren't going too smoothly. We're all stuck behind cars in the middle of a highway, surrounded by a horde.
Shit! I scream in my mind. Why are there so many?

My head snaps to the side as I hear something. Daryl was whistling quietly, trying to get my attention. He takes a gun from his pocket and slides it halfway across the gravel near the car I'm behind.
"Shit," he hisses when he realises he threw it at a bad angle. To get it, I have to go straight behind about eight walkers and I'll be out of sight from the rest of the group to get it. But I can't fight with just a knife, I need the gun. I crawl out quickly, literally on my hands and feet. Still clutching my knife just in case one jumps me.

I'm centimetres away from the gun when I feel my ankle get kicked our from underneath me. A sharp cry of pain erupts from my mouth, but is cut short by someone clamping a hand over it. I'm thrusting my knife behind me, trying to connect it with flesh and escape. It's no use, and the person grabs my wrist and throws my knife. Still out of sight from the group, he speaks. And I know exactly who it is.
"If you struggle," the deep voice of Caden hisses, "I will kill you."