Chapter 8

"Hey," A male voice said as I was pulling the last strands of my hair into a plait. I smile slightly, ready to apologise about what I said earlier. It was harsh but I'm still grieving.
"Hey, look I'm sorry about earlier-" I cut myself off as I see who it is. It's one of the guys from Woodbury, not Carl. "Sorry, I thought you were somebody else."
"Carl, I know." He nods. I nod, kinda suspicious.
"Um...sorry to seem rude, but do you want something?" The words spill from my mouth without warning.
"My name's Caden," He says, holding out a tanned hand. Reluctantly, I shake it. "You're Zoe Taylor, right?"
Suddenly defensive, I cross my arms over my chest.
"How do you know that?"
"Well, I hear it all the time around here," He gestures to outside of the cell and I take a slight step back. Well, yeah that makes sense. I still want to know why he's in my room.
"Okay, but that doesn't answer my question," I tell him as he runs a hand through his dirty blonde hair. "Do you want something?"
"Just to tell Carl," A sly look spreads across his face and a smirk paints his lips. "To keep you in his sights."
"Meaning?" I spit. He steps closer to me, his grey eyes boring into mine. He's attractive, but not the best looking.
"There's a lot of bad people in this world, Zoe. In fact you sleep with one. Yet you don't seem to care. Didn't he kill your brother? But you still kissed him?" I'm shocked, I feel my body go cold. None knows about that except Beth. Quite frankly I'm ashamed of it. It was so soon after...
"Get out. I don't want to know how you know that, but I want you to leave. Now if you know what's best for you. Because I may seem small but I've taken down enough of the walkers to be able to put your ass down in seconds!" I spit, the words burning my tongue like hot acid. He nods, smirking and walking out.
I need to tell Cadl. Now.