Chapter 33

Zoe's POV

We stand there, awaiting the force of whatever could hit us to come. Bullets, walkers...anything. Nothing happens. I stand up straighter and look around. Okay. It seems...safe so far.

"In there, I guess." I say, pointing to the door on the back of a building. To the right of me, I can see a few red train cars. One of them has the letter A spray painted on it in white. What could that mean? Arrivals? Armatures? I don't know, and honestly, I probably don't even want to know.

Rick and Daryl stand either some of the doors, weapons raised. Michonne is close beside Rick and Carl and I are point blank in front of the door.

"Three-two-one-" Rick whispers. He slams the door open and points his weapon in front of him. I await the shots to be fired, for the smell of metal and lead. Nothing. Faintly, somewhere in the distance I can hear a woman's voice. She sounds like she's talking into an intercom.

"There are maps at the crossings to help guide you." She says. Her words become clearer as we run down the halls. "terminus. Community for all, sanctuary for all. Those who arrive, survive." We open another door and I can see her. Repeating the same line into a microphone. There are tables filling the room and at the far side, a few people cluster.

"Hello." Rick says, lowering his gun and walking forward. We follow. Nobody seems to have heard him. "Hello." He reappeats. This time, everyone turns around.

"I bet Alberts on perimeter watch again." A man says, walking forward. "Are you hear to rob us?"

"No." Rick promises. "We wanted of see you before you saw us."

"Seems reasonable." The man says. I feel my heart stammering in my chest and my palms start to get clammy. "We usually do this up front, but, here's good." I feel Carl's free hand intertwine with mine and look up at him. He has the same look on his face that I have on mine. Fear.

"Could you drop your weapons please? It's just a precaution." The man says. "I'm Gareth, by the way."

"Rick." Rick replies, dropping his weapons. We do the same. "That's Daryl, my sons Carl and his girlfriend, Zoe. Next to her is Michonne."

Gareth walks up to us and tells us to put our arms out. What's he doing? Oh, of course. Searching us. If we wanted to kill him, he'd be dead. When he gets to me I shiver, remembering back to when the Governor took me. He gets to my feet and looks up, raising an eyebrow.

"How'd it happen?" He asks, clearly indicating to my half mechanical foot. I glare at him. "Not chatty, eh? Well, I'm sure that'll soon change when you settle in here."

"Yeah, sure." I scowl.

"Okay, well, you guys seem to check out. How about we come up front, get you something to eat?" Gareth says, stepping back and crossing his arms over his chest. "You look like you've been in the road for a while."

"We have." Rick promises. Gareth nods and leads us out front.

The smell of cooking meat hits me hard. Food. They actually have food. I'm starting to think this place might check out. Although, Im not getting my hopes up though.

"You think it's legit?" Carl asks me, hope gleaming in his eyes.

"I don't know Carl. This can't just be another dead end." I tell him warily. I mean, how many places in the world can promise sanctuary and then try to kill us. I'm starting to think everywhere is like that now.

"I guess we'll find out." He nods.

"I guess." I mumble. My head turns to see a woman with a braid down her neck at a grill. She smiles politely at me and then looks back down at the food. Beef? I genuinely don't understand why I'm not a vegetarian after seeing walkers. But, foods food, I guess. Carl nudges me in the ribs and I turn to face him.

"Over there," he whispers, nodding his head in the direction. Instantly, I look over and see it. A woman wearing Daryl's poncho, and next to her, a man with Glenn's pocket watch hanging out of his trouser pocket.

"Shit!" I hiss. "That's our stuff! Those are our peoples things!" Rick must have seen it too because by the time I turn around, he has Gareth in a choke hold.