Chapter 3

Edited by TenYearOdyssey

Ava’s POV

Thomas stares at me with cold, unflinching blue eyes for a few seconds. Then he slowly reaches forward and grabs a grape next to me. And then winks.

What the hell?

Dropping his hand he says, "You are my fiancé, no?"

Training my eyes onto him I eye him as I reply, "It would seem so."

Nodding his head, he says, "Very well."

I look up and realize everyone at the table is staring at us.

Apparently, Thomas notices this too, for he says, "Carry on. Don't you know it's rude to stare."

I try not to laugh and press my lips into a thin line, yet a small giggle escapes my mouth, echoing in the silence of the room. Everyone looks at me. Blushing, I glance quickly at my mother who looks quite mad.

Eyes hardening, my mother asks, "Is something funny to you Ava?"

Looking at my lap, I reply, "Of course not mother."

My mother gives me a very fake smile. She turns to the queen asks her something about the kingdom. I ignore the question, too busy trying to get my breathing and thoughts back under control.

Soon enough everyone is involved in a conversation, yet I remain quiet, only talking when spoken to.

Thomas turns to me and says, "Sorry for making you laugh."

I give him a small smile. "It's alright."

He offers a quick smile but says nothing more to me. Instead, he turns to his brother and starts talking to him.

I look over to my mother. She looks happy, as do the people around her. My mother knows how to make people feel comfortable around her. She is popular with anyone that we meet and always makes everyone feel as if they fit in. Yet, she is never that way around me. Even now, engaged to a prince, I still receive her cold remarks.

I sit there for a while, more lost in my own world than the world around me. Then I decide to go to my and Thomas's room and bury myself in my favorite book.

Standing up, I turn to the king and ask, "May I be excused?"

He looks surprised but nods his head nonetheless.

Giving everyone a small smile I quickly walk out the door. As soon as I'm out, I take in some breaths in and out. I instruct myself to be strong.

I walk slowly to Thomas's room, admiring the beautiful palace. Once I arrive, I look for one of the bags I bought and, after finding the bag, I grab my book and plop down on the bed.

The sheets smell so nice. I fight the urge to bury my face in the pillow, knowing that doing so would be odd and invasive. Instead, I settle deeper into the bed and continue reading my book.

Hours later, the door slowly opens and Thomas enters the room.

I jump up from the bed, blushing bright red. My book falls to the ground with a loud thump.

"I - uh - needed a place to read." I stutter out.

He nods and says, "It's fine. We're sharing this room now, so what's mine is yours."

I bleakly nod. Thomas sits in a chair and starts to take off his shoes. Then he looks up and says, "I almost forgot, your mother was looking for you."

"Oh, I'll guess I'll go find her then," I say, getting off the bed.

Nodding, Thomas says, "She's in her room."

I smile quickly at him and then walk to my mother's room. When I get there, I stop and knock. After a minute my mother answers, "Come in."

I walk in to find my mom rummaging through her new designer clothes.

She turns around and glares at me. "Ava, what is wrong with you? How dare you leave lunch so early?"

"I wasn't feeling well," I say. While not exactly true, I can't tell her that I left because I was bored, she would get so mad.

My mother frowns, "Don't act like that. You're perfectly fine."

"I'm better now," I say, keeping to my lie.

My mother just grunts.

After a few minutes of awkward silence, I say, "Mother, please, can I not marry the prince?"

My mother wrinkles her forehead and says, "What's wrong with him? He's gorgeous. What more could you possibly want?"

"Uh someone that loves me," I shoot back.

My mother snorts and says, "Love doesn't exist."

I squint my eyes in disbelief. "What about what you had with dad?"

My mother hesitates. She's silent for a while, possibly thinking about her time with my dad. Finally, she says, "That was a close friendship."

I squint my eyes harder, this time trying not to cry. Hearing her deny any love for my dad cuts me deep. If she didn't even love my dad, how on earth could she love me? I voice my concern: "Don't you love me?"

My mother freezes at my words and replies, "Of course I do. That's the only type of love that exists, the one between a mother and a child."

"Well, Thomas and I don't have the type of friendship you had with dad. If that's all that marriage is, then I don't have to marry him." I say hopefully, trying to turn my mother's words on themselves.

Shaking her head, my mother says, "Build a friendship then. Not having one with him doesn't change the fact that you have to marry him."

I leave with saying a word.

Author's note
Don't you just hate her mom, I do she's so mean. Well I'll update soon have a great everyone.

Remember to

Vote

Comment

Follow