Chapter 28

A few hours earlier, Thomas watches as Ava walks into the corridors of the palace. Running a hand through his hair, he closes his eyes shut for a second and starts to breathe in and out, trying not to stress out.

Dropping his hand from his hair, he pulls out his phone and dials Eric’s number.

“Hello,” came Eric’s soft voice from Thomas' phone.

“Is everything set?” Thomas replies, not bothering with manners.

“Almost, we were having a few minor difficulties though.’”

“Get them solved, I’ve been waiting too long for this. I am in no need of any delays,” Thomas orders his voice as hard as stone.

“Alright Thomas...chill out there’s no need to stress, it’ll all work according to plan.”

“I certainly hope so,” he says his voice a bit softer, then he hangs up.

Spotting the queen, he hurries over to her. “Have you seen my father, the plan’s set in motion.”

The queen's happy expression immediately changes not to one of sadness, one of stress much like Thomas’s. “I hope it goes well,” she says softly.

Thomas watches her face carefully. Did she really want everything to work out perfectly? After all, if the plan succeeds her position, everything she has, she might lose. But in the end, it is all up to the king.

“Thomas, your father is in the meeting room,” she says softly, her voice betraying no emotion.

Nodding, he follows her to the room, watching her carefully. Their relationship has gotten better, but it isn’t perfect, it isn’t even close. Thomas doesn’t trust her. What if she stabs them in the back?

“Son, there you are,” his father says thrusting some documents at him. “Look at these, make sure everything is in order.”

Shaking his head at the documents, he replies: “I don’t have time, do it yourself father.”

“I don’t have time either, you forget I’m the king,” His father replies smugly,

Rolling his eyes, Thomas wonders if his father could have a bigger ego.

“Just give it to Eric,” The queen says before the two could get in an argument.

Taking out his phone to call Eric, Thomas wonders what she would think of the queen. Would she like her? Would she hate her? Would they become fast friends?

Knowing her, they would probably become friends, she always did like everyone. No matter what position they have, no matter what they took from her.

His mind drifts to Ava. Would Ava like her? He wonders where she is, she had said she was going to meet with the queen, but the queen is currently standing next to him. He hopes she is okay.

He is excited, he can't wait to see her. He is also nervous, she has probably changed. It has been a whole year after all. Who knew how she is now.

The queen places a hand on his shoulder. “It’ll be okay Thomas.”

He nods as Eric steps into the room. “Thomas, the documents.”

Handing them over, he takes a seat, he suddenly feels dizzy. The small slice of pizza is all that he had eaten all day. He wishes he could back in time to their date, everything was so perfect, Ava was perfect.

He still can’t believe he hasn’t told her yet. What is wrong with him? She has asked him who he has been talking to, giving him the perfect opportunity to spill everything. But he hasn’t. He had lied, said it was nobody. Sometimes he curses his stupidity. No amount of books can help a person to spill the truth.

He would tell her soon, currently, he is a bit occupied. Pulling himself out of his thoughts, he finds Eric examining the documents.

Eric is truly a good friend, even after they drifted apart when Thomas had asked for his help. He has happily complied. Thomas wonders about Eric sometimes, his sister has cancer. As she grew weaker, he could feel his friend growing weaker with her. Eric doesn’t need the burden of her death on top of all the other losses he had already faced.

The queen is pacing back and forth, clearly nervous, maybe even more than him. The king is busy yelling at the guards, never forgetting to add in the fact that he is the king and that he controls their lives.

Thomas can’t wait to be king.

Not because he is greedy and strives for money and power, he feels as if he is ready. To be the king, that is. He has been training his whole life, he knows he can be a better king than his father.

His father is a terrible king, selfishness and greediness ruling his every decision. Thomas loves his father, he does. As bad as a king he is, he is a decent father. He has always cared for his two sons.

Thomas knows the only reason the royal family is still standing is because of him. They are waiting for Thomas to be king, Thomas loves his people. He knows France could be better. Someone just has to have the heart and the power to do it. Thomas has both, the people truly loved him.

The people don’t love Ava though. They thought she is a fluke, a gold digger, only there to steal his money and rob the kingdom. He read somewhere that the tabloids think Ava is seducing him.

Thomas has realized by now Ava is not that type of person. He could see that from the happiness in her smile and the light in her eyes. She is a good person, the world needs more people like her.

Her mother though, is another story, to say the least. Thomas hates her. He doesn’t understand why they put up with her, why not send her off to a country home, far away. The queen clearly doesn’t like her, his father never really has an opinion on anything. Although, his father was a bit mad when they had gotten blackmailed. He couldn’t sell Thomas off to some princess in hopes of becoming more richer and powerful.

He wonders sometimes if Ava is adopted, but then again after what he heard about her father today, he understands why her mother is the way she is. But he still hates her. She sold her only daughter to a stranger.

He likes Ava, she is innocent in his eyes. Yet he knew that her life is anything but. Together he hopes they will change the world.

But for that, he has to get her back.

Pushing himself out of his chair, he excuses himself and hurries over to his room.

One more phone call and they would be all set. Stepping into his room, he calls them. Once they pick up, he immediately asks: “Have you found her yet?"

“Not yet, your majesty.”

“Ok Ok," Thomas says hiding his disappointment, “Tell the manager to not let a single person in or I’ll personally ruin him.”

“Yes, your majesty. Do it right now."

Thomas tries to hide his irritation, he has a question and now he has to go find Eric.

“Of course, Of course,” he replies, pushing open the door, only to find Ava there. His phone falls to the ground with a loud clunk.

Author's note

Sooo......

Anyone figured it out. I feel like i made it pretty obvious. Don't spoil it. But just say.ummm "blue" if your think you know. And just no if you are still confusion

Anyways idk what else to say.

Wait. I had like one of the best days ever.

Enjoy your summer everyone.

I'll update soon.