Chapter 7

Edited by TenYearOdyssey

Ava’s POV

I trail behind Thomas, making it a struggle for him because he's gripping my hand tightly. Then, suddenly, Thomas stops. I halt as well, almost tripping before he catches me and says, "We are here."

I sigh I really don't want to do this. I mean what's the point of sucking up to a bunch of snobby royals? But if I'm going to be a queen then I might as well be a good queen and that meant interacting with the Royals.

Thomas smiles at me and says, "Come on."

But he doesn't move, instead, he reaches forward and tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear. I shiver as his fingers brush my cheek. He smirks as if realizing the effect he has on me.

I break my eyes away from his gaze. "Aren't we going to go in?" I ask

Thomas nods and says, "But of course, what would a ball be without its prince?"

He walks in and hands a slip of paper to what I'm guessing is the person who announces our arrival.

I walk into the light with Thomas. A voice booms across the giant ballroom: "His royal majesty Prince Thomas, and his beautiful fiancée, Princess Ava Mays."

Gasps echo across the room at the word fiancée. People start talking loudly and I hear whispers of conversation:

"Oh my god the prince is engaged."

"Can you believe it?"

"But he was supposed to marry me. I wanna be a princess"

"I'm so jealous."

"She's not even pretty, I'm ten times better than her."

"I bet she only wants him for his title."

"He could do better, like me."

My cheeks flush. Thomas lightly squeezes my hand and whispers, "Don't let them get to you."

I nod and grab the side of my dress, lifting the hem so I don't trip while I walk with Thomas down the stairs.

As we make our way down the stairs I hear someone say, "Look at her. She's lifting her dress so she can expose more skin, what a slut."

I flinch, but don't say anything, and look over and Thomas who looks mad. I'm guessing he heard that.

He suddenly stops making me almost trip again, but like before, he catches me and the same voice says again, "Look she's such a slut. Fake tripping so he can catch her and she can touch him."

I pull myself away from Thomas's arms. Thomas again seems to hear that and notices me pulling away from me.

He drops my hand and whispers into my ear, "Stay here, don't move at all."