Chapter 6

Edited by TenYearOdyssey

 Ava’s POV

I sit on the bench and try to think of a plan for what feels like hours. Nothing comes to mind. I watch the sun slowly begin set behind a length of trees. I can't believe no one has come looking for me. I must have been out for five hours.

Unfortunately, in those five hours, the best plan I could come up with was to spy on Thomas and from the information I hear, go on from there. Either I'll tell someone or confront him.

Even with the sun setting, I don't want to go back so I look around the garden. A large plot of tulips catches my eye and I walk over to them. As I am sniffing some tulips, Thomas comes into view.

I stiffen and try to act casual but I don't manage to look him in the eye. I coldly say, "Hey, Thomas."

Thomas looks at me in what is I consider a weird way. Maybe I should run for it, though I know that I'm prone to jump to conclusions when I'm scared.

"Ava, where have you been? I've been looking everywhere for you." Thomas says.

"Uhh, I just needed some air and your mother told me to go to the garden to get some," I say flustered.

Thomas' eyes harden and he replies, "She's not my mother and never will be."

Oh God, he looks mad. I shouldn't have said what if he tries to kill me now? Panicking, I quickly say, "Sorry, sorry please don't hurt me."

Thomas looks at me confused. "Huh? Why would I hurt you?"

I laugh nervously and say, "Oh, no reason, j-just a little joke."

"Ok, you're jokes are officially weird. You do remember that there's a ball tonight, right? I'm supposed to introduce you as my fiancée and the future queen," he replies calmly.

My eyes widen. "It's tonight?"

Thomas smiles at me and says, "Yeah, tonight at nine. That gives you two hours to get ready. That should be enough time, right?"

I nod my head. "Y-yeah," I say, clearing my throat. "I probably better hurry."

I turn and scurry up the stairs.

"Wait," Thomas says.

I slowly turn around and cast a questioning gaze in his direction, fearing the worst I ask, "Yes?"

"I laid out some gowns on the bed. I want you to choose the one you like best," Thomas says.

"Oh, ok." I breathe a sigh of relief. Picking out dresses is much better than what I had in mind.

I go up to our room and, as Thomas promised, an array of dresses are laid out on the bed. I walk over to them, they're all gorgeous but the one that really catches my eye is white and gold, it's beautiful, something that would be fit for a queen.