Chapter 13

Thank you theperson_whoreads for the aesthetic.

Edited by TenYearOdyssey

Ava's POV
T

homas smiles brightly, his teeth briefly flashing in the sunlight.

I hesitantly smile back. Clearing my throat, I ask him, "What exactly is it that you want me to do?"

His smile fades and he replies, "Well, let's just say that something terrible happened, I can't really go into what it exactly is, but there's this document and it has information that I really need for my plan to work." He pauses and stares fixedly into my eyes, taking a deep breath he continues, "Your part in all of this, is, well, I need you to go and get the document. I will admit, it'll be a bit difficult, you have to sneak into someone's house, grab the document, and leave as quickly as you came. Don't stick around, not even for a minute and, most importantly, don't get caught."

My mind whirls around, trying to process all the new information. Question upon question piles in my mind.

"How exactly do I sneak in? In case you haven't noticed, I'm not exactly a high-class spy," I say.

He lets out a light chuckle. "I'll help you with that, to be honest, I'm kind of surprised you agreed so easily."

I reply teasingly, "Well, you are my future king."

His eyes twinkle and he sweeps into a perfect bow before lightly kissing my hand. "And you are my future queen."

My hands tingle where his lips had touched my skin, but I brush the feeling off.

As Thomas rises up out of his bow, I ask, "Why can't you hire someone to do this? You're the prince, I'm sure a guard or someone else would be much better than me."

His eyes hold mine and he replies, "Well, one, I don't know them well enough for this and, two, I don't trust them."

I smile and bite my cheeks, trying very hard not to blush. "How exactly do I break in?" I ask.

He replies, "I wanted to make it easier on you because you're actually doing this for me, I went and forged a copy of the keys of the house."

"Smart," I say.

Smiling at my compliment, he continues, "Also, I got you a special pair of shoes, they have a type of material on their treads so they don't make any noise when you walk."

"Smart again," I mutter.

"Finally I - uh - got a knife, just in case something happens," he says.

My head snaps up to look at him and I say, "Wait, is something going to happen?"

He shakes his head, "No, nothing should happen, but just in case it does, use it."