Chapter 14

Ava's Pov

Edited by TenYearOdyssey

Ava's Pov

I hold back a shrill scream as I fall, the wind rushes through my hair, tangling it in little knots. Dust hits my eyes, making me blink rapidly, my shirt bunches up, showing a tiny bit of my stomach. I clamp my mouth, hoping not to swallow any of the dust.

For a split second, I think that falling is fun, I love the wind, the rush, the breeze, the coolness. But unfortunately, I quickly realize that if I don't land on that bag I am going to be a goner.

I look down and grimace, there is no way I am going to fall on the mattress. Dear God, please save me, I promise to be a good girl and never steal candy from my mom or ever do anything bad.

I squeeze my eyes tight. I roughly collide with a body. It takes me a moment to realize that the mattress didn't catch me, but Thomas did.

He tries to hold us both up but fails miserably and we both collapse on the ground.

Wheezing, he says, "Not to be rude Ava, but you're quite heavy and I'd rather not be a pancake."

I let out a breathless laugh. Feeling fine and whole, I push myself off of Thomas and help him up.

He hugs me and I freeze as his arms wrap tightly around me, giving me a sense of warmth, comfort, and safety. I slowly wrap my arms around his neck, burying my face in the crook of his neck. He smells so good, like a hint of cinnamon and vanilla and something masculine I can't define.

He squeezes me tighter and mumbles, "I'm so glad you're ok, I thought I wasn't going to catch you."

"I'm not dead," I mutter. Letting out a pent-up sigh, I thank God that I am alright. That was terrifying, exhilarating, but terrifying nonetheless.

I realize I am still cocooned in Thomas's arms and pull away.

His lighting blue eyes bore into mine, I stare back at him. He is breathtakingly beautiful, almost inhuman. I wonder how I look next to him. Yes, I am no beauty, but I not ugly either. I have come to accept myself, but I just feel self-conscious being next to Thomas, he is so gorgeous it is hard not to be.

I feel a burning in my lungs and realize I had been holding my breath. Shyly, I look away and hand him the document. He takes it, his hand brushing mine.

"Thank you for doing this," he says softly.

I nod and mumble, "At least I wasn't bored."

"At least," he says, letting out a light chuckle.

His eyes suddenly light up, "Let's celebrate."

"What do you have in mind," I ask.

"I was thinking we should go to a party," he says, his eyes bright.