Chapter 29

She stammered under his gaze as he froze

She stammered under his gaze as he froze. He finally uttered out, “Ava.”

Putting one hand on her hip she straightens her body up as if trying to make it bigger and says, “Thomas you better tell me what’s going, on and who you keep talking to, and don’t say it’s nobody again.”

Thomas lets out a large breath of year and says: “Why don’t you come in.”

Nodding, she takes a step into their room and places herself on one of the tables there.  

Running a hand through his hair in frustration, Thomas tries not to groan. Why now? He has to be somewhere, yet he knows he can’t leave Ava here filled with questions. Biting the bottom of his lip, Thomas starts, “So how much of my conversation did you hear?”

“Enough to be curious,” She replies her face tense. Thomas can read her like a book. She is mad, angry, frustrate, but most of all she is curious.

“How-how to start,” Thomas says chuckling slightly nervous. He looks into Ava’s eyes, hoping for some type of reassurance but all he sees is hardness. But this motivates him more than the kindness he is wishing to see.

“I told you about my mother right,” He asks cocking an eyebrow. She hesitantly nods.

“I told you that she was killed by the rebels...but that’s not exactly the truth. This attack happened about a year ago. They took her body with them, so we couldn’t be sure if she was dead. Everyone just figured they killed her. But a few weeks after her assumed death the palace got a note, she was still alive but they weren’t giving her to us. They were going to use her to torture us - the royal family,” He says, his shoulders heaving with his quick breaths.

“Oh my God,” she stutters out, placing on hand on Thomas’s hand.

He gives her a quick smile and goes on. “Ever since then I’ve trying everything to find her, the drugs were to torture people we thought knew something about her whereabouts, but they wouldn’t reveal it. The phone calls were with the palace guards to set up a plan to get her back. I was just trying to get her back.”

“I thought you were doing drugs,” she softly says, a look of bewilderment on her face.

Thomas' face turns amused, “Ah, Ava, you don’t quite seem to understand I would never do such a thing. I have a kingdom to rule, I don’t have time to be high.”

“Sorry,” she replies looking at the ground, her face a pretty shade of pink.

“It’s alright,” Thomas says lifting her face so she is looking straight at him. “I need to go, the plan I’ve set up for the past month is happening today. I can’t be any later or afford for anything to go wrong.”

“Can I help?” she asks softly staring straight into his eyes.

Ava’s POV

I can’t believe I had just asked that. My dad would be proud, he always told me to be less scared of what adventures life has.