Chapter 4

Edited by TenYearOdyssey

Ava’s POV

I try not to cry after what my mother had said to me. I fail miserably, I'm not strong enough to fight off the tears.

With tears streaming down my face. I rush to the only place I can think of - Thomas's room. Praying Thomas won't be there I enter, but of course he's there.

As soon as I open the door Thomas says, "Ava, I was thinking..." he freezes when he sees my face. His sentence trails off into a new one, "Is something wrong? But of course there is, you're crying. Do you want to talk about it?"

"I-" running my hands through my hair, I stop talking, unsure of what to say.

Thomas gives a small smile and says, "It's alright if you would rather not talk about it."

Shaking my head, I reply, "It's not that - it's just my mother and I got into a fight, that's all."

His face hardens and turning stiffly, he replies, "At least you have a mother."

"But the queen..." I say through numb lips, shock evident on my face.

He nods his head, "She's my stepmom."

I bite my lips and try to wipe my face clean of confusion. "But, umm, what-what about..." I stop trying to get my question out and look at his face to make sure he's not about to cry. I don't know how sensitive he is about not having his mom. The last thing I want to do is offend him.

He seems to catch my train of thought, because he says, "It's alright my mom died in an attack on the palace by some rebels. My mom, being the type of person she is - was, well let's just say she got in the middle of it and it didn't end well."

My eyes widen and I say, "I think I heard about the attack, it was on the news."

He nods slowly, "It was everywhere."

"I'm sorry," I whisper. He probably has a lot of people say I'm sorry to him, once they find out. But I can't think of anything else to say to him and I would feel bad if I didn't say anything.

His eyes bore into mine. "You know, when I tell others that my mom was murdered, you would expect them to say I'm sorry, but they never do. Instead, they all tell me to man up and to act like a proper crown prince or they'll offer their condolences, but say that since I am the crown prince and I have no right to be sad."

I take his words in, disgusted by the type of people who would do that. I restrain myself from cursing them and instead give him a real smile, "None of what they said is true."

He sighs and says, "Maybe, maybe not, but thank you for saying that you're sorry."

"Yeah, no problem." I quietly say. I gather up the courage to look at him straight in the eyes. Feeling bold I say, "Why-why did you decide to tell me all of this? You barely know me."

He looks surprised as if that was not at all what he was expecting me to say. "I'm only going to have one fiancée," he says, smiling lightly at this, "or at least I believe I will. I wanted you to know a little about me, even if it is not the best part of my life."

I slowly nod my head in understanding. We stay in a comfortable silence for a while. Until he breaks it and says, "Well, aren't you going to tell me something about yourself?"

"I-uh-what do want to know," I ask.

His blue eyes sparkle as he asks, "Favorite color?"

"Navy blue." I reply

"Favorite song," he asks

I try to think of one but fail and say, "Uhh I can't choose."

He laughs and asks, "Favorite food?"

"Pizza," I instantly reply. I love pizza.

He nods and says, "Can't say I have ever had it."

I swear if my eyes could pop out of my head they would. "What is frigging wrong with you? You've never had pizza? And to think you're a prince."

He laughs and says, "Well, I'm sure I will have it someday."

I laugh and say, "You better life isn't the same without pizza."

He starts to say something but gets cut off by his phone ringing. Pulling it out of his pocket, he looks at it and says, "I have to get this," then steps outside to answer it.

I get up and fix the bed. I glance at the time to see that it's around nine at night. I shake my head in disbelief at how quickly time passed.

The door opens shortly thereafter and Thomas comes in giving a small smile. "I have to go somewhere."

"Oh, ok, well I'm going to sleep," I reply.

"Goodnight then. I will see you tomorrow," he says and leaves.

Grabbing my night dress I flop into the very comfortable bed and drift off into the world of dreams.

Author's note
Sorry about taking a while to update didn't quite have the time, but no worries I will update soon so till then.

Remember to

Vote

Share

Follow

Comment