Chapter 8

Edited by TenYearOdyssey

Ava’s POV

I run a hand through my hair with my free hand and say, "Thomas where are we going?"

Thomas briefly pauses and looks at me. His blue eyes are icier than ever when he says, "Don't worry, we're almost there."

I sigh and walk faster. Thomas is easily in the lead, with his long legs and he keeps tugging me forwards.

We turn left and enter a dark passageway. I see big doors at the end. I wonder if he's taking me somewhere to kill me.

He takes out a key from his pocket and swiftly opens the door. I trail behind him and try not to gape, we're on a balcony and the view below is gorgeous: dark blue skies as far as the eyes can see, a perfect view of the kingdom, lit up for the night like a shining beacon, and I can faintly see the forest in the far off distance. All in all, it's one of the most magnificent views I have ever seen.

"Where are we," I ask, wonder creeping into my voice.

Thomas looks at me, his eyes are softer than earlier. "Just a place I go to when I need to get away," he says.

I decide to get straight to the point and bluntly ask, "Why exactly am I here?"

He sighs and says, "I just thought we should get away from the ball for a bit."

I nod and say nothing, simply content to take in the nighttime view of the kingdom and pleased that I apparently wasn't caught spying on his phone conversation as I had feared.

We walk over to the edge of the balcony and enjoy the beautiful view for a while. Even though the view is amazing, I can't help but look at Thomas - his perfect looking face, his beautiful blue eyes, his smooth creamy skin. My eyes are drawn to the tense set of his jaw. Something is obviously bothering him.

"Thomas," I say and he turns to looks at me.

Swallowing the cool night air, I ask, "Is something wrong? You know you can tell me."

Thomas' eyes pierce into mine before he replies. "Look, it's just that you were, um, you were..." he trails off and a blush rises to his cheeks. He scratches the back of his neck and goes on after a moment, "Well you were dancing with that guy, and-"

I interrupt and say, "Oh Eric. He's sweet."

Thomas frowns at this and his voice hardens, "Yeah, yeah, whatever. But I can't have you ruining the royal family's reputation by throwing yourself at some guy while you're supposedly engaged to me."

My mouth drops open in surprise and I quickly defend myself, "I was not throwing myself at him. What type of person do you think I am?"

Thomas' eyes flash in anger and he replies, "I don't really know what to think. You do realize you're engaged to me because your mother blackmailed my family."

I frown at his words and say, "Well guess what? I'm not my mother."

Calmly he replies, "Scientifically half of your genes come from your mother, so in a way, yes, you are."

"What does that have to do with anything? I may have her DNA but I am not her." I feel anger bubbling up in my stomach at his insinuation. I am nothing like my mother.

"You may not be her, but you are very much like her," he coldly reaffirms.

I glare at him and say, "So you don't trust me because of my mother? I told you, I'm not her."

"What reason have you given me to trust you?" He asks harshly, bitter contempt coats his words.

I push down my mounting anger and counter with, "What reason have I given you too not trust me?"

He starts laughing and replies, "You honestly think you have given me a reason to trust you? You do realize the only reason I ever met you is that I am being forced to marry to you."

I scowl and say, "Do you honestly think I wish to be engaged to you? I don't, FYI."

He laughs again and says, "Then why are we here? Why do I know you at all?"

"Because...because I was forced to get engaged to you," I reply.

He leans in close to me and whispers, "You had a choice. I did not I was fucking forced. Did you forget I got blackmailed? My whole family got blackmailed," breathing heavily he continues, "so don't say you didn't have a choice."

I sneer at him at say, "Don't act like you know anything about my mother and me."

He glares and replies, "I may not know much about you two, but I know enough to know that you didn't refuse to marry me. You didn't change her mind because right now I am engaged to you, which gives me enough of a reason to never trust you."

I flinch and reply, "Why exactly do you think my mother made get engaged to you?"

He looks confused but replies, "Isn't it obvious? You two only want me for my title the money you get from marrying me. I have had people in my life be friends with me, date me, pretend to like me, pretend to be there for me all because I'm the goddamn prince, all so they can get my money. You and your mother are just like everyone else."

I don't reply. I take a moment to study the man in front of me and realize under his 'I'm-fine-personality' is a man who has had people betray him, someone who has been through a lot, someone who has obviously been hurt many times. It's so clear, if only someone would look close enough into his eyes, they could see all the hurt and sadness hidden beneath the surface.

Instead of replying to what he said to me, I step forward closing the distance between us and hug him. He freezes obviously not expecting this.

I ignore the fireworks exploding inside of me and say, "Thomas, I'm sorry for all that you've been through. I can tell you don't need my pity, but, you deserve better. I'm aware that I barely know you, but I can tell you're a good person. You shouldn't have to live with all the pain, but the past is past and I'll try to be nicer...maybe one day you'll trust me...and, just so you know, I didn't want to get married to a stranger, let alone a prince. I don't want this life the responsibility, of one day being a queen ruling a country, but you were born into it and you're not throwing a tantrum. You're usually the perfect gentleman and I hate to break it to you, but we're both stuck in this engagement so I'll try harder."

I feel Thomas wrap his arms around me and I'm enveloped in his warmth and his amazing scent of vanilla. I pull back because I know I shouldn't but I really want to kiss him. I feel weird, too full of conflicting emotions. I like him, but I don't, not like that at least.

Thomas gives me a small smile and goes to sit in one of the benches in the balcony. I go and sit next to him. I look at the night sky the stars are so beautiful. I remember when I was little, I always wanted to be an astronaut and travel to the stars, but I grew up and moved on.

Looking at the stars I doze off and the last thing I hear before I fall asleep is Thomas soft voice saying, "I don't think you're terrible."

Authors note
Hey I finally updated yay me, I don't really know about this chapter I tried.

But I feel like its kind if ehhh, but it's longer than usual so that's something.

And make sure to tap the little star and comment your thoughts it would make my day. DON'T BE A SILENT READER please.

Also I need a good book to read so what are you guys favorite books on wattpad.

And that's all
Till next time...