The Winner Takes It All

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ms. Ellison, there are some questions about the wardrobe designs."

Rayne shook her head in frustration as her assistant informed her of some problems during pre-production. Infinity Wars was turning into one gigantic pain in her ass, one that she just didn't have time for right now.

"What's the problem? The designs are what Disney approved. Did you explain that?"

Rayne heard her assistant sigh and couldn't help but grin. Hell, if she had to have a headache, Melanie might as well have one too. "Yes, ma'am, I did, but there are some arguments... in a nutshell, they are requesting a meeting with you."

Rayne rubbed the area between her eyes. "I don't have time for this bullshit, Mel, I really don't! Tell the Russos that... "

"It's not just the Russos requesting the meeting, Rayne. It's Tom Hiddleston. He has some questions about Loki's wardrobe and wants to meet with the head designer before filming starts. That would be you."

Rayne heard Agnes snort in humor from the couch in the corner of her office but ignored the old woman that was so much like a mother to her. She suddenly wished she hadn't put the call on speaker. "I'll be there in a week. Is that early enough for the prima donna or do I need to make a special trip, for god's sake?"

She hung up before Mel had a chance to answer, taking her head in her hands and groaning. She heard Agnes get up and walk over to sit in the chair across from Rayne's desk. "Did you really think you'd get away with not seeing him? You have to fit him, for goodness sake."

Rayne shook her head. "I was going to let Mel handle him. Now, I don't... what do I do, Agnes?"

Agnes shook her head at her protege. "You deal with him, that's what you do. You yourself keep saying that you're over him. Prove it."

"There's nothing wrong with the sketches for Loki's costumes, Agnes. I went strictly by the guidelines laid out by Disney on what they wanted. I can't change them just because the MCU and one Tom Hiddleston think they're in charge."

Agnes reached over and patted her hand. "I know that so now you just have to convince them of that. It will be fine, you'll see." She grinned at Rayne and winked. "And if by chance you aren't over him... what's the harm in a shag or two while you're there?"

Rayne rolled her eyes at the other woman's bawdy sense of humor. "Believe me, Tom Hiddleston isn't interested in me that way. Not anymore." She shook her head. "No, I'm afraid that ship not only sailed but sunk just off the coast a long time ago."

Agnes just shook her head and stood to leave. "Well, you say that, but you really don't know, do you? Let nature take its course, Ray."

Rayne snorted and shook her head again. "Hey, he broke it off with me, remember? It's what he wanted."

Agnes shrugged as she opened Rayne's office door. "Sometimes we all do things that, at the time, seem like the right idea, but really they're nowhere near where fate wants us to go." She winked at the young woman who was so much like her daughter. "See what happens, and don't be too bitchy to him. He may regret past decisions."

Agnes shut the door behind herself, leaving Rayne with her worst enemy: her memories. She shut her eyes and groaned again as she was catapulted back in time to when everything made sense and she was in love with an Englishman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom stopped pacing as the door opened and the wardrobe assistant came back into the conference room. Joe Russo hung up from the call he was on as the shy young woman sat back down, her back ramrod straight as if she was facing a firing squad. Tom suppressed a grin, knowing that feeling all too well, and feeling bad that he was in part responsible for her nerves. The girl cleared her throat and managed to achieve a certain tone of authority as she relayed what her boss had told her.

"My boss has requested that I inform you that she will be here in a week, and will set aside time to meet with all of you and iron out any last minute details that need to be handled."

Tom breathed a sigh of relief and leaned forward toward the young woman, smiling at her in an almost fatherly way. "I'm not trying to be difficult, Ms. Jones, really I'm not. It's just that Loki's fans expect a certain... look, I suppose is the best word. You do understand where I'm coming from, yeah?"

He saw the girl nod, but before she could reply, Anthony Russo was stepping into the conversation. 

"It's not just Loki that we have questions about. It's Spiderman and Iron Man as well. The designs seem a bit off, that's all. I'm sure it can be worked through."

Ms. Jones nodded quickly, standing up to gather her things. "Yes, sir. I'll make sure Ms. Ellison is made aware of that, as well as Mr. Hiddleston's concerns."

Tom felt like someone suddenly doused him with ice water. He slowly stood up, holding out a hand to stop the girl from leaving. "Wait! Ellison... would that be Rayne Ellison?"

Ms. Jones nodded and smiled. "Yes, sir. She'll be in town in a week. She'll deal with all of you then. Have a good day, gentlemen."

She left, followed shortly by both Russos, leaving Tom by himself at the huge table, his head in his shaking hands. He tried to grasp what had just happened as a smile started to break over his startled face. He pawed through his pockets until he found his mobile, quickly hitting a speed dial button and impatiently waiting for the call to connect. 

"Tom! Enjoying New York, mate?"

"Ben, you'll never guess who is working on Infinity Wars as the head of wardrobe."

"Hmmm, well, let's see. Is it the same guy that did Thor: Ragnarok? He was pretty good at his job... "

Tom cut him off, unable to keep the jubilation from his voice. "No! Rayne Ellison, Ben! Rayne is the lead on this one."

He heard Ben start laughing and let him go until the other man could control himself again, smiling smugly on his end of the conversation. "Bloody hell, Tom! One of these days you're going to have to fill me in on how you continue to be so fucking lucky."

Tom chuckled. "I don't know myself, but I do know one thing. We'll finally be able to get things straightened out between us." He paused before continuing in a more subdued tone. "This is a new start, Ben. I get a second chance."

Ben cleared his throat before answering his best friend. "Yes, Tom, but what if she's involved with someone? Three years is a long time, mate. Hell, she could be married with children by now for all you know."

Tom sighed as he ran a hand over the back of his neck. Leave it to Ben to rain on his parade. "Yes, I suppose you're right. Well, if she is, then we can at least clear the air and part friends, though it's not like we haven't kept in touch from time to time, and she's never mentioned another man. But if she's single... well, she won't be for long."