Is This Real Life?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, Rayne laid staring up at the ceiling, so lost in thought that she didn't hear Tom move until his head appeared over hers, a smile on his face. He leaned down for a kiss before laying his head on her chest to nuzzle his nose against the side of her breast. Rayne let her fingers sift through his curls, hearing a contented sigh come from somewhere around her torso.

"Good morning, darling."

"Good morning."

"How are you feeling? Any nausea?"

Rayne shook her head, then rolled her eyes at the obvious fact that he couldn't see that. "No, I think the morning sickness is starting to end."

Tom lifts his head and smiled at her. "That's wonderful, Rayne. I'm happy to hear it." She nodded, still looking up at the ceiling. "So, what's wrong then?"

She finally looked at him, a slight frown on her face. "There's nothing wrong, why?"

Tom sighed and sat up beside her. "You've been a bit distant lately darling. Why don't you tell me what's on your mind?"

Rayne smirked as she sat up beside him, pulling the covers up to cover herself. "Do you want the whole list?"

Tom nodded seriously, reaching over to tuck a stray curl behind her ear. "Yes, I do. You never know, I might be able to help." Rayne sighed and Tom grinned. "Give me the first item on your list."

Rayne raised a brow. "As if I have a list."

Tom chuckled, nodding. "Yes, you do. I know you do. It's probably annotated with bullet points and all." He waved a hand in a come hither motion. "Come on, then, hit me with it."

Rayne blew out a breath, looking down at her hands clasped tightly in her lap. "I don't know if I'll be a good mother."

Tom snorted, causing Rayne to look over at him. "That one's easy. Of course, you will. You're already Woof and Baci's mother, and you're wonderful with them. You handled my nieces and nephews like a pro, changing nappies and feeding them bottles and telling them stories. Next problem?"

Rayne rolled her eyes. "My parents."

Tom thought for a moment before replying. "That one's tougher. It will take time, I'm sure, but I know that one day you'll be on even footing there, and it will be like they were always in your life. You just have to have patience, luv."

Rayne nodded, worrying her lip with her teeth before speaking again, this time in almost a whisper. "Ok, ready for the big one?"

Tom turned to face her, nodding as she mimicked his move, their knees touching as they sat cross-legged on the bed. "You have my undivided attention, darling."