Take A Chance On Me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Did you forget to tell me something?"

Rayne looked up from the shipping list in front of her to see Agnes practically running into her office and slamming the door shut. Rayne sat back and yawned as she stretched her arms over her head. She had been trying to make sure everything was ready to be shipped to Atlanta for the shoot next week, in between dozing off. No amount of coffee, of which she had consumed more than her fair share of this morning, was helping her stay awake.

"What are you talking about?"

Agnes walked over and plopped down in the chair on the other side of Rayne's desk and gave her a baleful stare, which only made Rayne snicker as she reached for her coffee mug. The older woman pointed toward the door. "Are we by any chance fitting the cast of The Ranch? I saw a few of them at the entrance downstairs as I was coming in."

Rayne thought for a moment before nodding. "I was sure I told you about that." At Agnes's snort, she shrugged. "Anyway, it doesn't matter. I gave them to the apprentices since we don't have to actually make any of their costumes. Everything is off the rack." She grinned at the old woman's relieved expression. "Why? Do you have a fangirl crush on Ashton Kutcher? He's married you know, just in case you were thinking of turning into a cougar."

Rayne yawned around a laugh at the expression on Agnes's face. "Oh, you're so funny! Why are you yawning so much? Rough night?"

"Why are you changing the subject? You come running in here as if the hounds of hell are chasing you, accuse me of not telling you about the new contract, and then change the subject. Even for you, that's strange."

Agnes gave a look of such obviously fake surprise that Rayne laughed again. "I have no idea what you're talking about! Honestly, you have such an imagination. I'm just concerned that you aren't getting enough sleep, that's all."

Rayne waved a hand as she took another pull from her cup of caffeine. "I'm ok, just not sleeping well, that's all. Probably the stress of making sure everything is ready for IW. I'm sure once we start filming, I'll be back to sleeping like a baby."

Agnes lifted a brow and considered her exhausted looking protege. "Of course, that's it. It couldn't be that Tom's been gone for a week."

Rayne snorted incredulously. "No, that's not it. Why would that bother me? It's not like I won't see him in Atlanta."

Agnes studied her a moment longer before standing up and nodding, effectively ending the conversation. "Well, I'm going to try to get to my office without being spotted... I mean, I'm going to head to my office now."

Rayne squinted at Agnes as she closed the door behind herself, then sighed before shaking her head. She couldn't and wouldn't tell Agnes the real reason she couldn't sleep at night. She was half-right, after all. It was because of Tom, but not because she missed him. She did, but that wasn't the cause of her sleepless nights. No, she was having dreams. Not bad ones, but dreams from when she and Tom were together the first time. 

She felt like she was losing her mind, but every time she closed her eyes, she could see every moment played out in her memory from that time. Everything, from the light-hearted moments to the erotic ones, played through her mind and woke her up. It was like her subconscious was trying to remind her of what they had, but she didn't need to remember it, she was living it. Ever since the evening they had gone out for burgers, they had gotten closer. 

Everything was coming back to her. Everything she had loved about him was coming to the forefront and pushing the bad moments into the shadows. She had to admit though, that there weren't that many bad moments. The only time she remembered Tom hurting her in any way was when he broke off their relationship, and she understood more now why that had happened.

She was just scared of feeling that way again. Even though Tom said he was a changed man, an older, wiser version of himself, a tiny part of her had to wonder if it was true. She knew that she was certainly wiser now, but that came from dealing with heartbreak. Rayne leaned her head back and closed her eyes, wondering if perhaps Tom had gone through his own brand of heartbreak when they had ended things. Even though he was the one to walk away, she never considered that it could have been just as hard for him to deal with. 

She sighed tiredly before opening her eyes and straightening back up. She had work to do, and it wasn't like she wouldn't visit this all later in her dreams.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After checking both ways to make sure the hallway was empty, Agnes quickly ran the few feet separating her office and Rayne's, slamming her door and locking it before slumping against it in relief. She couldn't believe that now, after all these years, he had to show up again. She had managed to avoid him all this time, only to have it almost blow up in her face. She walked over and plopped down in her desk chair, leaning her head forward to rest in her hands. She could feel her heart racing and would be concerned if it wasn't for the fact that she knew exactly what was causing it.

She lifted her head to look at the picture sitting on the corner of her desk, smiling at the image of her late husband Charlie on a cruise a year before he died. He looked so happy in the picture, not yet knowing about the tumor or the fact that he would shortly pass away. She thanked God every day for the years she had with her husband, and wouldn't trade them for anything, but she couldn't help it if every so often, she let her mind drift back to a different time, wondering what could have been.

She sighed before reaching out a finger to run it lightly across the glass, the closest she'd ever be to touching Charlie again. "I miss you, love. If you were here, you'd have some kind of wise advice to give me." She chuckled wryly as she shook her head. "Of course, if you were here, I wouldn't be having the thoughts that I'm having." She let out a slow breath before continuing. "Well, I have other things to think about than times gone by. I have to help Ray get ready for Atlanta."